Critique Required Ernie

Stevenson Gawen

I met this gentleman loading his ute (pickup) in Cooma, and asked if could take his photo. I'm not good at this kind of thing, (even though I keep trying) but he kindly agreed. I was using my 'vintage' (2006) Pentax K10d and SMC-M 50mm f1.7 and (sure enough!) missed focus slightly, but... Afterwards I asked if he'd like a copy emailed to him, and he pulled out a very battered leather wallet and after a little rummaging pulled out a card which I glanced at and pocketed.

Now the surprise... it was only when I got home that it sunk in that I'd been chatting with Ernie Constance - a rather well known country music artist, (find him on Spotify or wherever) but also local farmer. I felt a little foolish for not twigging sooner:oops: but hey, I guess it makes a good story!

Any thoughts on the photo appreciated - portraiture is not my thing but I like looking at it, and occasionally trying.;)
IMGP0798.jpg

With my eyes, after the operation, this is in focus. Sharpness is an elusive subjective feeling I'd say. I love the way you did his portrait and the colours it shows. I have among others Pentaxes and my K3 and K5 never fail me. I also love country music and I certainly am going to listen to him.
And now I have. He reminds me of old western cowboy singers like Montana Slim, Gene Autrey, The Sons of the Pioneers and many more. Really liked him. At the age of ten, I was given a record player and some of the old stone records back then. All country and I was hooked. Sorry for this ranting.

Last edited:
With my eyes, after the operation, this is in focus. Sharpness is an elusive subjective feeling I'd say. I love the way you did his portrait and the colours it shows. I have among others Pentaxes and my K3 and K5 never fail me. I also love country music and I certainly am going to listen to him.
And now I have. He reminds me of old western cowboy singers like Montana Slim, Gene Autrey, The Sons of the Pioneers and many more. Really liked him. At the age of ten, I was given a record player and some of the old stone records back then. All country and I was hooked. Sorry for this ranting.
Thanks Ivar! I actually agree about the focus looking ok, just doesn't seem quite right technically... Glad I was able to introduce you to Ernie. I'm familiar with a few of his songs, even though I'm not a specific country fan - I like it but not more than various other styles too. You may well know him already but the Slim Dusty is well worth a listen too - classic Aussie country.

I'm fond of the K10d. I bought mine last year for I think around $90 (AUD). Only thing is I find manual focus rather hard on it. I now have a cheap aftermarket focussing screen in it, with a microprism circle and split screen. It helps - I don't get on with the micro prisms, but the split works well as long there's a horizontal line to look at ...
Do you (or anyone else reading for that matter) have any thoughts on focussing screens for manual lens use?

Back