Fall In Montana!

Ralph Thornton

Fall is definitely in the air. Cool nights, colorful leaves and the bugling of bull elk. Here are two photos I got while on a hike the past four days.

The South Fork of the Sun River lies wholly within the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It's a great river offering many beautiful scenes. There's one short stretch that is a short walk from a road but the spot in this photo requires hiking about 8 miles to reach it. I camped near here on the first night of my recent trek. The bugling elk kept me company most of the night. They were joined by two hooting owls just before daybreak.

This area experienced wildfire in 2007 that caused the many dead trees in the photo. That fire has opened up more of the area so that grass will grow. The many acres of new grass will benefit elk herds such as this one.

Oh, yes, that is snow on the peaks in the distance!
10178863264_33c1b58bd4_c.jpg

In fall bull elk stake their claim on desirable females. This marvelous bull has quite a harem.
10179017286_b009a71e49_c.jpg

Last edited:
amazing shots ralph. the elk are beautiful. but that first shot is my favorite. gorgeous colors and comp.

Montana....?, didn't Frank Zappa have a song about that, something like 'dental floss' I believe.
moving to montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.
my boss annoyingly likes to sing one or two lines from different songs throughout the day. though he has a strong yankee accent so it sounds more like dental florist when he sings it.

amazing shots ralph. the elk are beautiful. but that first shot is my favorite. gorgeous colors and comp.

moving to montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.
my boss annoyingly likes to sing one or two lines from different songs throughout the day. though he has a strong yankee accent so it sounds more like dental florist when he sings it.
Like that one. Movin to Montana...
It's a great place to live for sure but you better figure out where your income will come from before you make the move. ;)

Thanks all. Might be the last big hike of the season as fall is winding down. Won't be long before winter will take a solid hold. :) Time for me to start searching in the shed for my skis.

That's the one Beth, great lyrics and song writing from Frank Zappa, I've loved Frank with "The Mothers Of Invention" from the late 1960's, my eldest brother got me into them as he used to play all their music when I was growing up, superb stuff....!!
Last year we seen Dwezil Zappa play a live gig here in Edinburgh, Scotland, such talent.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ralph.

That bull is going to be a busy fellow!

The ywllows in the first shot are fantastic - color of the season

Back