False-bay sunset

Rudi Venter

This photo was taken about 20 minutes after sunset looking out over False-bay in Capetown, South Africa.

The camera was tripod mounted to enable a long exposure, 20 sec, to capture the last colors in the sky and the reflections on the water. Fog moving in on the horizon softens the outline of the mountains on the opposite shore.

img_8975c_std.jpg

Canon EOS 7D, Canon 17-40mm L f4 lens at f8 and 20sec

Thanks for looking,
Rudi

Rudi, your photos are a joy to see. Always good!

I captured some just past sunset shotes in the mountains last summer and these reminded me of them. I like how the light in the distant sky diffuses in front of the far mountains and makes them less contrasty.

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate the compliment :)

I just love sunrise/sunset photos. Yes, the soft horizon and colors was what attracted me most in this case.

Gorgeous - I think the 10-20 mins after sunset are priceless - yet so many people pack up and go home once the sun is down!

Thanks Chris!

Yes, I used to be guilty of leaving as soon as the sun was gone but there are still amazing images to capture quite a while after that.

Rudi,

What great colors, you must have really nailed the exposure - tough to do when you start to take longer exposures. At least with digital it is possible to see when you have gotten it right. I remember the old days of film shooting. You would see something like this, try to meter and estimate the exposure, take some shots even with some bracketing, and then when you got them back they would all be either black or all washed out :) No such problem here. The shore being in silhouette gives some good balance with out being too visually distracting, and the far peaks against the yellow sky are breathtaking for sure!

ML

Thanks Mike!

I am sure with film it would be quite difficult, I never really shot a lot of film, I am way to impatient to see the results, the long wait spoiled it for me....... I have often thought of trying large format film but never got around to it.

The location I took this photo from is stunning with a great view all-over the huge bay. I stay there a few days each year on a trip visiting family so there is always something to look forward to :)

Thanks for looking!

Back