First Roll Of Film

Beth Carter

the only place that still develops film around here is walgreens (though they're getting rid of it by the end of the year), everywhere else is a mail-in service. i'll probably look for a mail in lab to use, walgreens staff didn't impress me. i was surprised by how straight the horizons were considering how much i use the level display in the digital cameras.

i cropped one and made highlight adjustments to two, but otherwise untouched. saw a spot on one and a hair on another.

kent island frozen over. it's a big resort area with a fishing/marsh/chesapeake lifestyle

creepy house in maryland on the way to kent island
highlight adjustment

old house on the corner of the road where i work.

taken on the way into work one morning when i had time to hit a few back roads.

also taken on the road where i work. a newer home in the same state of disrepair as the other, only this one is still occupied. was a man and woman living here until a few months ago, then she went for a walk in the woods and opted out. you know it's not going to be a good day at work when you can't even get to the building because of all of the cop cars sitting in the road.
cropped

sunrise on the way to work, another back road.
highlight adjustment

edit - olympus trip 35 and fuji superia 400 x-tra - no need to release the hounds or anything like that..

Last edited:
Wow - rocking first set of film shots Beth!

Love the foggy old house, the mist on the water shot, and that Prince Purple Sky!

If you're doing mail-in, I'd recommend NCPS - I use them because they're local, but they do tons of mail in work

Beth, Beth, Beth! What a triumph, or home run as you guys say. Fantastic. You were born to shoot film! Honestly. Forgive me for saying this, but you seem to have taken more care over framing the shot - very sensitive framing. Maybe I'm totally wrong, and your digital framing is just as good, only these appear to be so beautifully thought through.

Now, you'd better edit your post to include camera and film, or Brian will set Sadie on you ;)

Then go and buy more film. Lots of it!

These are very nice indeed!
So what's the verdict? Are you happy with the results? Will you continue? Have you found the top of a slippery slope? ;)

thanks!

Wow - rocking first set of film shots Beth!

Love the foggy old house, the mist on the water shot, and that Prince Purple Sky!

If you're doing mail-in, I'd recommend NCPS - I use them because they're local, but they do tons of mail in work
thanks chris, never heard of ncps. http://www.northcoastphoto.com/ is this them?

Beth, Beth, Beth! What a triumph, or home run as you guys say. Fantastic. You were born to shoot film! Honestly. Forgive me for saying this, but you seem to have taken more care over framing the shot - very sensitive framing. Maybe I'm totally wrong, and your digital framing is just as good, only these appear to be so beautifully thought through.

Now, you'd better edit your post to include camera and film, or Brian will set Sadie on you ;)

Then go and buy more film. Lots of it!
i realized half way through the roll that i was going to pay around $10 for development and cd per roll so i probably needed to take more care than with digital. i was amazed at how the weather and skies cooperated though. i gave myself 10 extra minutes to shoot a sunrise on the way to work and actually got a sunrise. that sort of thing never happens when i have my digital camera. but it happened every time. i rode past the creepy house on the way to kent island, thought that'd look good with overcast skies, they were overcast on the way home. we had everything from snow and ice to spring in the space of a week. i never thought i liked 40mm much, but i may have to reconsider that..

Lovely stuff - love No3!
again, another shot i've wanted to shoot in the fog since i started working there. the weather finally cooperated. my personal favorite is #2.

These are very nice indeed!
So what's the verdict? Are you happy with the results? Will you continue? Have you found the top of a slippery slope? ;)
i'm very happy with the results. these were all shot on auto (my next roll is going to be all manual just to see if i can do it using a lightmeter app on my phone) and i loved how easy it was. there's 3 rolls left from the box and after that's done i'll probably shoot the occasional roll, but continue to shoot mostly with digital. i liked the fuji superia 400, the shadows came out very green, but otherwise really nice tones. any other films to suggest? according to the internet, which is full of truthful information, i need to buy a lens cap (to keep the photo cells from wearing out?) and my own eyes are telling me that a new wrist strap is in order before i shoot too much.

Try Kodak ultramax 400 or portra 400 portra 400 is more expensive but less grainy. Ultramax is prob the kodak equiv... You will find it less green I'd have thought!

I shouldn't stress about a lens cap, the cell will fail if it's going to fail ... I've read the same, but from what I know, there isn't any scientific reason why it would fail from use over lack of use. But I maybe misinformed

Just remember, in manual, 1/40th is all you have at your disposal! :)

I've decided to dump film and go digital! (You all are taking too damn many damn good film shots! And here comes Beth now rocking the film world! I need to be different so I'm going digi!)

Wunerful set, Beth. I love 3 and 4 especially. (Sadie's not a hound, by the way.;))

Try Kodak Ektar film. It happens to be my favorite color film.

Don't worry about your meter failing. Shoot Sunny 16 and you'll be fine.

thanks everyone. it was interesting (and a little more fun than i care to admit) to have a week between taking the first photos and getting the roll back, esp. without the instant gratification of the lcd screen. i've started shooting the second roll, but that will probably get put on hold until the new camera smell is out of the xt-1.

I just join in on all the praise and there is a certain undefinite feeling to colour film I cannot describe, but it's maybe soon, out of this world. Tried to repair my Olympus trip 35, but in vain. Digital from now on unless I'm being tempted to use my old EOS 650. I still have superia and sensia left.

I love the unadulterated nature of all these shots. There is an honesty about them and they have an atmosphere/mood that any self respecting DSLR would die for. Words like Pure and Organic also spring to mind.
BTW How do I "like a post" and what is Hugo High Five?

Back