First scans

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Got delivery of an Epson V550 today, the first negatives scanner I've ever had. A breeze to set up, but no manual. Thankfully a nice German on YouTube had made a video on how to use it.

Here are four old images, chosen for different reasons. I can report that all scans are better than the CD of scans I had from when I got the films developed, which surprised me as I thought that as they have more (much more) expensive scanners, the quality of my scans would be worse. Not so.

1. The Wee Horse. In the original scan from Boots, the light part at the top was overblown. 35mm film, XP2, Konica Hexar. Lots more detail in the hair.

weehorse1a.jpg

2. The bowl. Chosen for its contrast and overblown parts on the bowl. Managed to recover much of the detail, not just of the bowl but of the background too.

bowl1.jpg

3. First colour scan, and first screw up! I chose Colour Negative as Film Type before clicking Scan. I should have chosen Positive Film. However, I really like the result! And prefer it to the "proper" version below.

Greenhouse window001.jpg

4. The proper version. Scanned at 4800 dpi, the negative came out at a whopping 450mb. A b&w version made with Nik Silver rose to 690mb!! I'll need a new external hard drive at this rate!

Greenhouse window2.jpg

So, my initial impression is very favourable, in fact I'm surprised at the quality versus the shop scans, even the medium-format ones, which were sent to respected labs.

Before scanning, I set the black and white points on the histogram - a good tip which I read about here: https://www.scantips.com/simple2.html

Scanning will save me money, and is enjoyable to do. Wish I'd done this much earlier.

I love that wee horse. Such a contemplative look to him. I agree about the window--the screw-up is better. Thanks for the scantips link, Rob. I can't open it from the computer I'm on now but I'm looking forward to seeing the tips when I get home. Are you scanning each neg individually or are you scanning multiples? (For example, with my Epson V500 I can set it to scan a maximum of 12 35mm negs in a sitting without me having to fiddle with the controls for each neg.)

I love that wee horse. Such a contemplative look to him. I agree about the window--the screw-up is better. Thanks for the scantips link, Rob. I can't open it from the computer I'm on now but I'm looking forward to seeing the tips when I get home. Are you scanning each neg individually or are you scanning multiples? (For example, with my Epson V500 I can set it to scan a maximum of 12 35mm negs in a sitting without me having to fiddle with the controls for each neg.)

Cheers, Brian. At the moment I'm scanning individually, just to test things, but I can see how to do batches. Do you scan at 4800 or 2400 for both b&w and colour?
Actually I scan at far less. Usually around 1200 unless I plan on printing an image. Usually I'll scan all the negs from a roll at 1200 (saves time and computer memory) and then re-scan the ones I want to print at higher res. However, I'm not at all clear on the DPI/PPI stuff so don't use my workflow as a model.

Back