Critique Welcomed Flower and Wheat Photographs

Paul Lange

I was sorting out my photos in LR and found these two that I took quite some time ago. All the photos of flowers and plants posted recently has given me a bit of an appreciation for such images and these two stood out for me even though in the past I had overlooked them.

This is some green wheat that was being blown about in some strong winds. I like the effect, I think it is caused buy the wheat being still for part of the exposure and moving for the other part.
_DSC0297.jpg

My knowledge of flowers is not good. Maybe some one can let me know what this is exactly.
_DSC0364.jpg

I don't like the first one at all.
Conversely, I love the flower shot!

The first one is very interesting, however not the most overwhelming.
I really like how there is only a few strands of wheat moving and others static and crisp, and the idea is brilliant!!
Capturing movement amongst still whilst physics would argue otherwise has my vote any day!

The second shot from my opinion would suit a square crop from the bottom upwards. but like I said, it's only my opinion.
Good shots there Paul.

Thank you, all fair comments I think. What don't you like about the 1st one Gerry? It's odd how we like different things. If I had to choose one for my wall it would be the 1st. Dan is right, it doesn't grab your attention but once I start looking at it I saw more and more to look at. I like that in photographs.

I do love the transparency and color in #2 - beautifully exposed Paul.

When I look at #1, I see oodles of texture, and that immediately makes me think B&W might be the way to go.

What do you think?

c8ca939c-30e9-442d-b5b2-93e08d41f3c1-l

The DOF on both make me want to dive right in. I like how #1 is almost abstract in nature, and also captures the movement a bit. You can almost feel the breeze. Nice.

Thank you Chris, Ian & Darren. Chris, 1 is almost monochrome so BW works I think, good idea. Also even a colour tinted monochrome might work. Just given me an idea to maybe also sharpen the more in focus wheat heads more than the others to see if they pop out a bit.

One thing I do like about the first one is the way there is one seed head yellow/white and all the others are still green...

I too like the first shot probably for much the same reasons you do. B&W works but I think it needs some colour. And I think it needs a more constraining crop, maybe something like this (layer Tin-type / colour).

_DSC0297.jpg

And No 2 is Rosebay Willow Herb!

I knew Pete would know what it was! ;)

Back