Fort Casey

Brian Moore

Went for a walk at Fort Casey yesterday and on the way out the door I grabbed my Olympus OM2n, which is loaded with Ilford HP5. Went to take my first photograph and the shutter hung up. The batteries have died I am sure. So I'll file the photo below under the heading of "Your Best Camera Is The One You Have On You At The Time." It's an iPhone image.

The body of water straight ahead separates Whidbey Island (which is where I am) from the Olympic Peninsula. The buildings on the right were military, the one furthest along being the Commandant's home back in the day. Today this facility is part of the Washington State Parks.

IMG_E2643.jpg by brian moore, on Flickr

Superb, Brian. I love how the sky's warmer tones contrast the cooler ones of the land. It gives the scene something of a post-apocalyptic feel.

Went for a walk at Fort Casey yesterday and on the way out the door I grabbed my Olympus OM2n, which is loaded with Ilford HP5. Went to take my first photograph and the shutter hung up. The batteries have died I am sure. So I'll file the photo below under the heading of "Your Best Camera Is The One You Have On You At The Time." It's an iPhone image.

The body of water straight ahead separates Whidbey Island (which is where I am) from the Olympic Peninsula. The buildings on the right were military, the one furthest along being the Commandant's home back in the day. Today this facility is part of the Washington State Parks.

IMG_E2643.jpg by brian moore, on Flickr
I am still trying to make up my mind, albeit I usually am quite decisive, but with a phone..........? If I were an easy scared soul, I probably would stay away.

I am still trying to make up my mind, albeit I usually am quite decisive, but with a phone..........? If I were an easy scared soul, I probably would stay away.
It’s still a photo, Ivar. The phone camera is handy, convenient, and it’s most likely there when you need it. They take good pictures now, too. Why not use it,…especially when you’ve nothing else?

This comment by Ivar could open a very broad reflection. In our appreciation of an image, to what extent are we willing to separate our judgment between the result achieved and the means employed to achieve it?
I think this is going to be a hot topic in a very short time (it is already topical in fact).

It's even too easy for me today to say that what I care about is just the end result, but maybe it's not quite that simple.

This comment by Ivar could open a very broad reflection. In our appreciation of an image, to what extent are we willing to separate our judgment between the result achieved and the means employed to achieve it?
I think this is going to be a hot topic in a very short time (it is already topical in fact).

It's even too easy for me today to say that what I care about is just the end result, but maybe it's not quite that simple.
To me, it is actually the end result that is important. I do not need to know or I really do not care how it came about. I just have been trying to , mock a certain Scotsman, nothing else. But to his information, I always carry a camera which is much more important to me than plenty small pixels in a very small sensor. My camera is a prolonged part of my arm. Take it away and I feel as if I were amputated. As the sword in the hands of a Norseman😂

@Ivar Dahl-Larsen, I suppose that for many members of this forum, the process of image production is just as important as the result, as it is for you. And perhaps even more so when they work with film and darkroom.
The same goes for me: Seville oranges' marmalade from the grocery store is better than the one I produce by picking the fruit from the tree and wasting hours at the cooker to get something barely acceptable. But that's how we are, we like the artisan side of our existence.
With artificial intelligence, mobile phones (and cameras to follow) will create ever more perfect photos, and I'm fine with that, it's a good thing in itself. But I like seeing that there are always those who like to pick fruit from the tree with their own hands.

@Ivar Dahl-Larsen, I suppose that for many members of this forum, the process of image production is just as important as the result, as it is for you. And perhaps even more so when they work with film and darkroom.
The same goes for me: Seville oranges' marmalade from the grocery store is better than the one I produce by picking the fruit from the tree and wasting hours at the cooker to get something barely acceptable. But that's how we are, we like the artisan side of our existence.
With artificial intelligence, mobile phones (and cameras to follow) will create ever more perfect photos, and I'm fine with that, it's a good thing in itself. But I like seeing that there are always those who like to pick fruit from the tree with their own hands.
I feel there is often a need to 'apologise', well, proffer one, depending on the equipment used to take the shot, particularly with a phone camera. And you know what, I think I'm good with that 😁.

Brian, and many others, have shown what a good phone cam shot can look like, and they do make for convenience, but doesn't it just feel too convenient?

I'm certainly in the artisan cult, I brew fresh ground coffee in a chemex each day at excessive inconvenience to get the experience I expect, to the bafflement of most, and the same goes with my photography experiences.

The journey makes the event 'arrive'.

Back