Fuji GSW690II (Texas Leica)

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
The first rolls are back from dev and scan at my local lab (North Coast Photographic)

I shot some Pan F, Porta 400, and Velvia 100.

Exposure seems to be good, and framing using the rangefinder looks to be spot on. Focus was not difficult and the focus patch on the camera viewfinder was bright. I found it easiest to use an edge to align the focus.

My horizons on some of the hand-held shots show my genetic lean, hopefully to be remedied by fitting a hot-shoe level.

I managed to get light bleed on one film due to poor handling - need to be more careful!

Any way, some results:

8072725395_054bd08e2d_b.jpg

Shot with the Pan F - at F11

8072725263_0cf60a9e53_b.jpg

Shot with Velvia 100

8072725051_3a8a8363b6_b.jpg

Shot with Velvia 100 with PP in Nik Silver FX

8072718666_da423231dc_b.jpg

Shot with Velvia 100 with PP in Nik Silver FX

8072717760_8a85eba5a6_b.jpg

Shot with Velvia 100

8072723765_ed4ffdf54f_b.jpg

Shot with Velvia 100

8072724769_8edb414c02_b.jpg

Shot with Porta 400 PP in Nik Color FX

8072724513_0a34f4b70b_b.jpg

8072724253_1eaa3a01f8_b.jpg

8072717322_60d1dbcd7c_b.jpg

Some comments on the films:

Pan F 50- B&W Print Film, wasn't a very good test, I usually shoot with a Yellow filter but hand't got my hands on one in time. I'll shoot another roll in better light and with the filter. The one shot I posted here looks grainy to me, which is odd as it's the slowest film of the set. More testing required.

Velvia 100 - Slide film, very dense and contrasty - may not scan that well on the scanning equipment in my lab, or maybe it was slightly under exposed? Produces nice contrasty B&W images when converted in NIK. Color images have a nice vintage color palette straight from the film.

Porta 400 - Color print film, very similar to digital after post processing - fine grain and excellent colors. Scans really well, and allowed the camera to be easily used hand-held.

Looking at resolution and ultimate image quality, it's amazing to compare the 6x9 scans with the X-Pro1 RAW files.

The 6x9 scan has more pixels, but also has more 'noise' in the form of grain - both can produce stunning images, and at 100% there's not much in it, although the complete lack of 'noise' in the X-Pro1 image wins the day for me.

I can see image streaking on a number of scans - the streaks go left to right across a landscape frame, (vertically down the left side on portrait frames).

It's on the B&W image in the top sky area, and in the portrait shot with the red car, down the left half. No idea if this is dev or scanning causing the issue - any ideas?

The light streaks were a really pain - I'd be devastated if my only good frame was ruined in this way - must try harder to handle the film correctly during load/unload.

Dust and scratches were minimal (thanks lab people) and were easily fixed in PS.

Will try Fuji Neopan and some more Pan F next - also have Velvia 50 ASA on the way from Amazon.

Upon closer inspection, the Velvia 100 appears to show zero grain at the resolution scanned (7139 × 4903 pixels) - even at 100% zoom!

8073043609_a2c58a8124_b.jpg

Velvia 100 PP in NIK Silver FX

Lovely shots and good comments Chris. As you say, a real vintage feel to the Velvia shots and nice saturation - I think this is more the look than exposure / development issues though. I haven't used Velvia for years but I like Portra a lot for the colour and fine grain - especially in portraits (mind, again, I haven't used it for ages although there is still quite a bit in the fridge). The streak is probably from the lab although it would be worth double-checking inside the back to make sure there are no rough spots on the transport (I'd have thought there would be more if that was the case). The Pan F shot has very nice tones but the grain does look rather large for that emulsion. I suspect that there development process is not giving it the best chance. You'll probably find that the Neopan gives you a 'finer' print. The Delta emulsions are nice also and more tolerant of processing variation.

It is interesting that you like the Portra more because it yields less grain and you compare with the grain-free images of the X-Pro One. Whereas I often add texture! All I can say is, "Embrace the Grain, Chris. Embrace the grain". ;)

I'm with Pete on this, Chris. I'm wondering if the XPro1 has spoiled you for film? To me, it is the noise, texture, light, colour saturation, etc, of film which makes it unique, and should not be judged using the same criteria you have for your digital shots. But where I differ from Pete, is that he knows what he is talking about...

Couple of 100% crops comparing the Porta 400 and X-Pro1 shots of the same car

8074041694_684f077f7b_o.jpg

So is that yellowy sky straight out of the scan?

lovely lovely lovely ... Shame about the irks you are having ... Worth preservering though!!!

- - - Updated - - -

... ... Else if you want to sellte camera ever ... Let me know :)

Thanks Paul & Hamish - it is a nice looking vintage feel isn't it.

The sky color is straight off of the scan - I could color correct it of course, but it did give it a 'film' look.

Checked the negs today for the streaking, and can't see it - so I'm thinking it was a scanning issue - will pop back and ask the lab I think.

No sign of me ever selling any camera Hamish - I'm a hoarder! :D

A few more from this week - corporate BBQ event - Porta 400 film

8081669418_f84fb3ae3c_b.jpg

8081669206_4f96dc1153_b.jpg

8081673395_21030e1865_b.jpg

8081673105_754011d359_b.jpg

The Kodak Porta really scans well, and the final result is a very 'modern' look

The camera was a joy to use around the event - just set the aperture and shutter speed once with my meter, then walked around snapping away.

The size of the Fuji did attract attention though - no chance of being covert! :D

Took more care loading/unloading the film and had no issues with light leaks

Also showed the lab the streaking in teh red car scan, and they're going to re-scan for me next week.

Finally - shot a roll or Neopan B&W 100 today, and a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 ASA, so we'll see how those look next week.

A lot of serious looking guys there, all with ill-fitting clothes (as if I could talk!).

Interesting comparing these shots with your XPro1 shots - gone is the Sunshine State glow, to be replaced by something grittier, even chunkier, maybe even more realistic?

What pp do you do on them?

What are your thoughts, Chris? If you had to choose between the two cameras?

Rob - you may have noticed that he ground was wet in a few shots.

So the lack of glow may have been weather related due to an unusual atmospheric phenomenon called rain! :D

There's no doubt that you can get more resolution from MF, but that is very dependent on film choice.

Dynamic range is reduced with film, so there is less recovery capability in case of poor exposure, and also less enhancement capability for some of the NIK filters.

I like the ease of use of the camera - no messing with lens choice - no playing with AF point selection - just take the meter reading, dial it in and shoot - oh, and focus... must remember to focus!

I think the two cameras co-exist nicely - I'd choose both! :D

Chris I dont know anything of the camera you're using . Just like to add as others say that these are fantastic images.

Thanks Julian - it's this one: http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/992-texas-leica.html

Thanks Pete - Porta gives a very contemporary final image, but maybe I'm not embracing the grain that way ;)

I've got some Fuji Neopan B&W in D&P, and shot some Fuji Velvia 50 over the weekend, so we'll see what they can provide when scanned.

Spotted some 120 film in urban outfitters on the weekend - their Loma range including 100 ASA B&W, 100 ASA Color and 400 ASA color.

Anyone tried this film yet?

Got the Fuji Neopan shots back today - first time I've ever shot this B&W film, and I used a K2 Yellow filter.

8098908051_16a0f9762c_b.jpg

Barn Door

8098917748_063254989a_b.jpg

Cactus Patch

Both shots were taken at the Leo Carrillo Ranch - metering was with my Sekonic meter with -1 EV dialed in for the Yellow filter.

Dev and Scan and my local lab (North Coast Photographic)

Not sure about the Fuji B&W vs my usual Ilford - very different look

Also got a re-scan of the Porta 400 film where I had some streaking - came back clean this time

8098967849_80c02fbfae_b.jpg

ok - got two rolls of Velvia 50 back from the lab

As expected it's super colorful, although I had exposure issues with a few shots being under exposed for some reason on one roll.

Not sure what happened there - I must have messed up metering or settings somehow - I'm up to a stop out on some shots by the looks of things...

First frame is bang-on correct - subsequent frames all look under exposed - but the sun was going down so maybe I just failed to adapt the exposure correctly. Assume dev wouldn't be the issue in this case?

Any way, some of the correctly exposed samples:

8104176708_4fe192bcb1_b.jpg

Sunset from Double Peak Park

8104176878_c4bbb2f22a_b.jpg

North Ponto Beach Lifeguard Station

8104161923_9030d9bb75_b.jpg

North Ponto Beach

8104177008_b9bd13bef6_b.jpg

Footsteps in the Sand

On close inspection the 50 ASA transparency film is basically grain free at the resolution scanned. It's very 'dense', which may also be due to the apparent under exposure - although I get the feeling that slide film scans more contrasty any way.

Color looks stunning off the scanner - and there was almost no dust or other issues to clean up.

I'm going to have to shoot a test roll, and take exposure notes, bracketing to find how my meter and film correspond - I noted that my Sekonic meter consistently reads 1 stop different to my Gossen, so who knows which is correct!

That's a point for anyone trying film shooting for the first time (Rob) - take notes of your exposure settings for each shot - as there is no EXIF data, and I can guarantee you that by the time the shots come back you won't remember what you did!

8104485601_405df1cf7a_o.jpg

Sand Castles - North Ponto Beach

Back