Fuji X100 Firmware update (v.1.11)

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Fuji Have released a firmware update for the x100
According to Fuji the following updates are included

pic_additional_01.jpg

1.Performance of auto focus at near distance has been improved.

2.When "SHADW TONE" is set to "MEDIUM SOFT" or "SOFT", live view in LCD may display with abnormal pattern (so-called "solarisation") just after pressing the shutter halfway. This update improves the phenomena.

3.When self-timer mode is selected, focus and exposure (AE/AF) are set just after pressing the shutter button and these settings are remained for the final shutter releasing.

Download and Instructions are here

Fujifilm: Support & Contact Center: Download Drivers & Software:I have just done mine
I didnt have the bundled software on my computer as the instructions say, I just copied the .Dat file to a memory card, put it in the camera whilst holding the back button and switched it on.
From there i just followed the instructions

Of course it reset all my settings, so i was a little concerned to hear a loud shutter noise ... but it didnt take me long to realise it had turned "silent mode" off and was just making that pointless simulated shutter sound you can have it make...

I can confirm that initial testing shows some improvement in focus at close distances, it seems a little bit quicker and focuses correctly more often ... although the speed part could be in my head!
Less of that red rectangle popping up is always a good thing, I take a lot of close up shots of Connie with this camera and failed AF has become a bug bare ... still, fingers crossed this should help!

Id never noticed the other issues ...

& news today that there is a new camera expected Feb 2012 an interchangable lens version so what a camera that will be !! Hope to have one in stock as soon as it is released.

I dont Dave ... i have never used camera brand software...

Where have you heard this news Andy, I heard something a while back, but no confirmed date or any further info...

Where have you heard this news Andy, I heard something a while back, but no confirmed date or any further info...

Fujifilm unveils X-S1 high-end superzoom and confirms Mirrorless intentions: Digital Photography Review

"...company president and CEO Shigetaka Komori said it will create a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera built around a larger sensor with ‘resolution and low noise [that] will surpass the 35mm full size sensor.’ We’re not taking this to mean it will be a full-frame camera. More details will be announced nearer the Spring 2012 launch."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/04/us-fujifilm-idUSTRE7631CG20110704

When it comes from the high-honcho of the company, it is more than just a rumor. It is supposed to be shown at CES/PMA in Las Vegas, second week in January.

I must say that it has caught my attention. Fuji marches to their own drummer, and the last two cameras I have bought are from Fuji. The first is the W1 stereo camera, which has been a delight. The second is the X100—both have been the first of their kind, clearly designed from the ground up. They certainly have the background to produce a landmark interchangeable lens camera on a marketing pro-level. The current Hasselblad company has not manufactured cameras, but in fact the H line is designed and built by Fuji. Fuji also built the Hasselblad XPan, which was sold under the Fuji name in some markets.

I am extremely impressed with the Fujinon lens in the X100, and processing RAW is always a pleasure. I first got to know Fujinons doing large format film photography, and liked them very much. I tried out one of their 6×9 rangefinder cameras back then and was really impressed, but it did not fit any need I had, so did not buy. Fujinons are also used a lot by the movie industry. I would have full confidence buying into this camera on the basis of Fuji glass. The only question would be if it would actually fit with my photographic needs which are very well served by the D700, X100 and W1.

On the other hand, I have never been impressed by the bundled software I have received with any camera over the past decade. Adobe Camera RAW does an absolutely splendid job with all my RAW files.

Last edited:
Of course, but I had always just assumed it was within the area of precision instruments!

Fuji have got high hopes taking on Sony!
As I understand it Sony out sold Nikon in "interchangeable lens cameras" last Christmas ... Of course that included Sonys NEX range, but it's still impressive!
Good luck to them I say! They have always been my second brand! And they do bloody well in the compact market...
That said, it's probably the only logical move for them, short zoom compacts and hybrids are dying out fairly quickly it seems at the mo, and really they are Fuji's main line up!

I would say they are pretty big in the bridge camera market as well although at almost £200 cheaper than a comparable Canon or Nikon (a canon sx40 is £450 and a Nikon p5000 is £290 my fuji cost £180) its not that surprising

It wont last though Dave, it wont be long before the bridge camera market is all but swollowed by the compact interchangeable lens camera market... they will get cheaper and offer more than the bridge cameras do at not much more money...
Im sure there will always be a few ... they tick that "mega zoom" in a small package box ... but you can get 15x zoom on a truly compact camera now
Time will tell anyway, its almost pointless making predictions ... i can only go on what sells more or less in the shop i used to work in...

with the camera phone squeeze from the bottom and the higher end squeeze down ... we are bound to see less of certain types of cameras even if they arnt superseded altogether

Back