Fuji XF Lenses - Full Lab Test - DSLR Magazine (Spain)

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Finally a reputable source has put any InterWeb fueled BS to rest, and tested all three of Fuji's new XF lenses for the X-Pro1.

They have provided a full suite of test data, along with their observations and conclusions, and although written in Spanish, the Google translation still gets the details of the testing across clearly.

bb7d0465-3cd3-4506-ab3a-a1b0556327e9-l

Fujifilm X-Pro1, La Prueba - Ópticas XF - DSLR Magazine

All three lenses score highly, indeed they conclude for the 60mm lens:

Overall, probably the best digital lens in its focal category, more than likely a new optical paradigm.

Final conclusions are very positive for the new Fuji lens system:

Fujifilm aims XF: Conclusion

Overall it appears that these three objectives-served by the X-Trans sensor and processor, the key to this team, they behave almost exactly as it was hoped that they would do in theory: an extraordinary image quality, reminiscent of the best times of the optical telemetry and high-definition movies.

And we talk of the optical behavior, no garage, but the rings have the luxury of diaphragm settings click diaphragm thirds point, with some slack I must say, manual focus is "by wire", that is assisted by an electric motor which may not please the purists, we suspect the price to pay for a mixed-use AF / MF in sizes restrained.

Similarly, in a first contact lenses, built mostly of aluminum, could pass for too light, especially accustomed to the strength and weight of conventional optical purely mechanical, however after some experience with the team did not sincerely believe that this involves a problem for any potential user .

Not sure what 'no garage' means though? :D

Garbage? I don't know. Seems they have positive things to say. I get annoyed when reviewers say something along the lines of "Not as good as something costing twice as much".

Not 'no garage', in the original it says ' no del mecánico' which according to my limited Spanish I assume means ' not mechanical ' ie not manual as it is mostly an electronic system.

There may be a few systems that could beat it when printing very large and viewing very close. No Adobe Camera RAW expected for a few weeks, so shooting RAW+JPEG. Initial results, even when pixel peeping at 100%, say that the sensor and 35mm f/1.4 can easily stand up to any camera/lens combo in existence for practical photography. For normal prints, web and monitor viewing, it really does not get any better. Nice camera as well.

Hi Gary
Welcome to the forum :)
That sounds sencible ... You can see how it would be misstranslated to garage with that explanation

Not 'no garage', in the original it says ' no del mecánico' which according to my limited Spanish I assume means ' not mechanical ' ie not manual as it is mostly an electronic system.

Ahhh, makes perfect sense Gary!

Thx.

There may be a few systems that could beat it when printing very large and viewing very close. No Adobe Camera RAW expected for a few weeks, so shooting RAW+JPEG. Initial results, even when pixel peeping at 100%, say that the sensor and 35mm f/1.4 can easily stand up to any camera/lens combo in existence for practical photography. For normal prints, web and monitor viewing, it really does not get any better. Nice camera as well.

You liking yours then Larry?

You liking yours then Larry?

For the past couple of days, I have mostly been testing, but a family invited me to share Easter with them. Shooting in room light, mostly compact fluorescent and some incandescent light. Since the camera is too new for RAW support from Adobe, I shot RAW+JPEG for immediate gratification. Files are just now transferred and backed up, and I have had a chance to browse the JPEGs and they are everything one could hope for. I am really looking forward to processing RAW.

I quickly threw together a page of shots of the vivacious daughter, Nicole, shot across the dinner table. The camera might as well have been invisible. The camera is not silent like the X100, but the shutter is quiet enough to be lost in room noise. I had the AF on S mode so focus was with half-press, and it locked on quickly enough. When shooting subject off-centre, I moved the focus rectangle to the part of the image where the subject would be. No shots out of focus and no shots lost through lag. The 18mm and 60mm are still on order, so all were shot with the 35mm f/1.4. They were pretty much all around f/2.0 at 1/50th of a second, ISO1000-1600. She is a lively lass, so some show a bit of motion blur, but I don't think it detracts. They were shot both for testing and for sharing with the family, not as a demonstration page but I think worth sharing. The camera simply did not intrude and Nicole did no posing whatever.

See
Dinner With Nicole

Nicely done Larry - loving the look and the natural WB

Back