Critique Welcomed Girl On Phone

Brian Moore

It may look fairly bright but this was a night shot taken outside Huntington Beach High School Auditorium following an excellent and hilarious performance of Spamalot. The solitary nature of the figure is deceiving as there were plenty of folk about, in particular where I was standing. I used a wall pod. for this image.

Olympus XA and Kodak BW400CN film.

Now that is wonderful Brian. The contrast between the crisp and static lower legs and shoes with the moving upper body works very well indeed and I like the overall feeling of stillness in the scene. I like the placing of the various elements too. :)

Now that is wonderful Brian. The contrast between the crisp and static lower legs and shoes with the moving upper body works very well indeed and I like the overall feeling of stillness in the scene. I like the placing of the various elements too. :)
Thank you, Pete. Luck that she stood there a moment and no one else entered the scene, and luck that the architects in the 1920s had the foresight to place a wallpod where I needed one last Saturday night;). Thanks again, Pete!

So, you were hiding behind a wall, taking a photo of a girl on her own?!

It's a great shot, brain. Ach, there we go again! Brian. The architecture is perfect, really helping the composition. All those straight lines, and the motion of her head - which is kind of echoed in the five curves above the door.

These kind of abstract street images are not really a strong point for me. I used to love to just walk and shoot but somehow making a living got in the way. I do find a couple things interesting about this Image. The horizontal line of windows is intriguing but even more intriguing is the disunity of lighting. I can see where the light from the hard short shadow is coming from. The streetlight overhead accounts for it but the long low light source shadow sweeping behind the girl has a less obvious source. An approaching car perhaps?

So, you were hiding behind a wall, taking a photo of a girl on her own?!

It's a great shot, brain. Ach, there we go again! Brian. The architecture is perfect, really helping the composition. All those straight lines, and the motion of her head - which is kind of echoed in the five curves above the door.
No Rob,...I wasn't "hiding" behind a bloody wall. :D Anyway, thanks, Rob.

These kind of abstract street images are not really a strong point for me. I used to love to just walk and shoot but somehow making a living got in the way. I do find a couple things interesting about this Image. The horizontal line of windows is intriguing but even more intriguing is the disunity of lighting. I can see where the light from the hard short shadow is coming from. The streetlight overhead accounts for it but the long low light source shadow sweeping behind the girl has a less obvious source. An approaching car perhaps?
I'm not sure either what accounts for that long shadow behind the girl. It may have been an approaching vehicle, but I tend to think that shadow was cast by another street lamp just a few yards outside the frame to the left. Anyway, thanks for your comments, Bobby.

The female subject and the high-heels gave this image a somewhat voyeuristic quality for me Brian

Probably just me, but I liked it! :D

This image has been haunting me a bit and now I have worked out why. It has the look of stage or early TV production lighting to it. And I love it. :)
Exactly, Pete! That's where I was going with my Fritz Lang comment, except I was thinking 1920s movie set. Thanks, Pete!

That darn Pete with his prolific posting, he got in there before me. I saw it and immediately thought I can't tell if it is a real street or a stage set. There is something eyrie about it which I like very much.
Thanks very much, Paul. Appreciated.

By the way, I know what you mean. That Pete's a pain sometimes, ain't he? Allow me to help you express your feelings:

@Pete Askew: :p

Back