Good morning from Bangkok

Stephane Tougard

Dear all,

On this very last day of 2023, I hereby come to present myself to the community.

French, living in Thailand, I've been shooting photographs since I was 14 (almost 40 years ago). I've even been a professional in my young time (studio photographer). Today, I love street photo.

Of course, happy new year to you all.

Stephane

Greetings Stephane, I'm not sure if you're still visiting this place. I only recently arrived myself after a chance encounter with Hamish on another board. I read your post on posting blurry photos and being OK with it. I'm 70 and it seems like you have a very decided opinion of what should and shouldn't be. If you're still around, send me a note.

Greetings Stephane, I'm not sure if you're still visiting this place. I only recently arrived myself after a chance encounter with Hamish on another board. I read your post on posting blurry photos and being OK with it. I'm 70 and it seems like you have a very decided opinion of what should and shouldn't be. If you're still around, send me a note.

Hello Gary,

I'm here because I received a notification with your message, but I don't come here anymore as I did not find what I'm searching (no critic intended, the forum is very well and happy those who find here what they want :)

Anything I can do for you ?

I wasn't looking for anything specific from you, I was just sad to see that you left. I'm only new here myself and I guess the lack of participation here had me wondering. I do think the age of participants here tends to be older and I ended up here by way of Hamish (who is a moderator on dpreview) who convinced me to visit/write an article for 35mmc. I have only recently started shooting film again and have branched out some from dpreview (which I think has suffered since the Amazon crisis of several months ago). Thanks for your reply and good luck in your search for a forum that suits you. - Gary

There has been a "Amazon crisis" ?
What Stevenson said. I called it an "Amazon crisis" since Amazon was the owner of dpreview. Amazon spun off a number of "underperforming" units. For a while it appeared that dpreview was going to completely disappear. It did not.

“Art only has value in the work and the skill it conveys”.

As the history of Art is peopled with rule breakers, it is surely folly to restrict Art to a definition? And I’m troubled by the word ‘value’. Is there a definition of value outside of subjective parameters? Who are we to judge what others see as subjective value? Who decides what a non-subjective value should be? Well, that seems to be the self-appointed role of critics and bloggers. You need to define your terms.

I’ve seen this attitude in music too, as if there is a Standard all musicians should have reached or at least aspire to, for their music to be of any worth. That might hold up in the Classical genre, Jazz too, and there are many pop, rock and folk musicians who play at a high standard, but there is a whole history and world of lesser technically-proficient musicians creating wonderful, meaningful, value-filled music, not to mention the ‘value’ of Music Therapy.

You called us ‘pathetic’. I call you pompous. But, really, who cares?

That said, I must say I’ve never been comfortable with the epithet ‘Real Photographer’, as if others are not real. Yes, it means we use our real names, but there might well be others here who use a false name. Nevertheless, I have found this place to be a supportive community for many years. Long may it be so!

You can ask, but you may not like the answer

You're right I don't like it, I find it disrespectful to this forum, those who administer it and those who frequent it, who have provided a free and non-profit service, always in a spirit of tolerance, friendship and attention even to those like me who have no artistic or professional ambition.
I see that you are running for president of the French Republic. Good luck.

Sorry for digging all this back up.

Back