Cheers From The Tropics

Keith Hollister

New member from central Florida here in the States. Retired in January of this year at the young age of 58 from Lockheed Martin where I herded cats managed a software engineering department. Been making photographs for almost 40 years with a variety of formats, but primarily Nikon 35mm until recently. I'm now well into m43 and still keep abreast of goings on in Fuji-land. Was primarily a Kodachrome and B&W shooter before digital, and always did my own processing (aside from Kodachrome, obviously). I have finally come to grips with the concept that the "good enough" camera you have with you is infinitely more useful than the perfect one you left at home, hence my m43 relationship.

I have done a lot of PJ (newspaper) and portraits in years past, both professionally and not, but my most recent work seems to have gravitated to birding (certainly live in the right area for that). I am trying to focus more on landscape, architecture and street. I feel like I struggle a bit with landscape composition, so I am trying to force myself to stretch in that genre.

Just transitioned from an old MacPro to a new retina Macbook Pro as my primary photography workstation using Lightroom, Nik/Topaz/OnOne plugins and checking out Aperture out of curiosity. And unlike many these days, I actually print images and hang them on the wall (Epson 3880 - lusting after something bigger).

Really like the tone here, and looking forward to civilized discussion about photography as opposed to arguing about equipment (I have referred to DPReview as "Fight Club for cameras"). Link in my sig to some of my more recent stuff on Zenfolio.

Fight Club for cameras eh? I know exactly what you mean and that's why I avoid other forums like the proverbial plague. :) Welcome to the forum Keith and if you excuse me for a moment, I'm going to check out your bird post. (I can't see a lot of images from work and I don't get much time at home, but I do try...)

A Nikon film user? Don't you fancy the new Nikon Df? Looks gorgeous.
Don't get me started on that thing - I can't imagine what Nikon is thinking, especially at the price. I don't know why anyone would buy a Df when a D800 is the same price. The D4 sensor in the Df is a better high ISO solution, but everything else in the D800 is superior.

What I would like to have is a MF body with split-image rangefinder & micro-prism VF screen to make using AI/AI-S and Zeiss ZF lenses easier.

welcome cat herder. my brother lives in tallahassee, but he's been kicked out of the cities of orlando, ocala and daytona beach. wonderful shots of the fort in st augustine, the college and winery are nice too.

welcome cat herder. my brother lives in tallahassee, but he's been kicked out of the cities of orlando, ocala and daytona beach. wonderful shots of the fort in st augustine, the college and winery are nice too.

Since Tallahassee is the state capital and thus the origin of most problems, we Floridians view that as sort of the penal colony for the State ;)

St. Augustine is a great photography location, although both of my trips the last few years to attempt photography downtown have been cut short by rain. I need to get back up there - lots of architecture to shoot at the college downtown. Thanks for the kind words, sorry to hear about your brother :D

Since Tallahassee is the state capital and thus the origin of most problems, we Floridians view that as sort of the penal colony for the State ;)

St. Augustine is a great photography location, although both of my trips the last few years to attempt photography downtown have been cut short by rain. I need to get back up there - lots of architecture to shoot at the college downtown. Thanks for the kind words, sorry to hear about your brother :D

lol, yea, i hate the place. it's the worst place he's lived in florida. even ocala was better and that wasn't much more than a couple of horse farms. check out palm coast if you haven't been there yet. there's a rocky beach across from washington oaks state park.

Welcome Keith - glad that you found us :)

Comments on the 'good enough' camera well received in these here parts - lots of us shooting frankly ancient old film cameras and getting heaps of joy out of them (as well as digital)

Don't know Florida that well - only seen Disney and KSC, and Miami once - but enjoyed what I've seen - looking forward to seeing more

Although we have actually been introduced...I wanted to welcome you to RPF. I'm impressed with your photo work and your want to help with comments and suggestions. I also know exactly what you mean about herding cats having retired a few years ago...Navy...who had nightmares while trying to keep more than 35 of all types make sure submarines could come back up.

Back