GT3 Cup Racing

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Following conversations around extracting new image data out of 'old' RAW files - here's an example I re-visited recently with Photoshop CS4 RAW converter - originally taken on the Canon 1D back in 2002.

I'm glad I took the trouble to shoot and archive RAW - the CS4 RAW engine is able to extract greater detail and tonal range, sharpen more effectively, and correct for CA etc. CS5 sounds like it can do even more with RAW!

Anyway - here's the result - from eight years ago, and a 4 mpixel camera! :eek:

web.jpg

GT3 Cup Racing - Brands Hatch - UK

Last edited:
A couple of additional 1D (2002) shots that have had the same treatment - Both from GT3 Cup - Brands Hatch & Croft - UK

web.jpg

web.jpg

i really really like that first one, there is something hugely satisfying about the colours and composition of the colours

Lovely pics. Although why do I look at the first one and think of the video for Bohemian Rhapsody?

i really really like that first one, there is something hugely satisfying about the colours and composition of the colours

It's like a GT3 colour test card! LOL

Shot 1 and 2 were taken at Brands, at the same corner, but in shot 1 I climbed up the banking at Druids, so that I could look down the hill. With the compressed perspective on the long telephoto, you get the fold of the track forming that nice V shape, that helps frame the cars.

Shooting from ground level, as in shot 2, you loose that backdrop, but gain the ability to see space under the car as it crests the hill - which is also a nice look. The sand trap was also a nice backdrop with a little sun on it.

Back