Hannah by Window

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
A little bit of inspiration for this was drawn from channel 4's series "misfits"
it was shot using my 1959 45mm nippon kogaku lens on my d3
f8
1/60th
1600iso
all of the blur is unnatural; added in lightroom ... the cinematography in misfits is like that, lots of blur added to shots ... i like it, so i thought id do it in a photo of the missis ..
its a lot more subtle than it is in the misfits, but i am going to do some more photos in this way i think as i like the effect ...

_DSC4554-1.jpg

more recent version ... softening a bit more consistent and more in line with my original "vision", straightened so the window frame is vertical, slightly more tinted... i think im happy with it now

_DSC4554-2.jpg

what do we think?

unedited

_DSC4554-3.jpg

pre crop

_DSC4554-2-1.jpg

Very nice Hamish - lots of atmosphere in the image and post processing.

Could you have got almost the same final effect with a very narrow DOF or a tilt shift/Lensbaby?

I like it :) very arty

Amazing how we put old lenses on top model DSLR and make it more blury on the computer to be creative :)

Mark.

Very nice Hamish - lots of atmosphere in the image and post processing.

Could you have got almost the same final effect with a very narrow DOF or a tilt shift/Lensbaby?

Lens baby is too severe, I don't have a tilt shift lens ... I also wanted to be extra selective ... But I actually ended up doing less blurring than I expected to

Very, very nice Hamish. I would maybe soften her hair a touch though so you focus more on her eyes. What do you think?

yes pete i agree
see revised version in original post ... im happy with it now
i think you can possibly tak some of the credit for the inspiration of these photos

Looks great :)

What does the original from the camara look like if its not a secret?

Would be helfpul to see how creative you have been with lightroom.
I dont have any creative skills with post processing, just straighten,crop and sharpen for me :) I need to learn....

Mark.

there you go mark, see the original post again for pre edit and pre crop versions... you can see the lens its self is fairly low contrast and not exactly tack sharp...

I have a lot to learn with creativity for sure, I would not have used that lens as I have an obsession with lots of contrast and ultimate sharpness.....

Just goes to show having any eye for arty creativity is most important, its not what you have in your kit bag that matters it's how you use it.

I really like the crop, I remember before you doing some almost square crops on everything, looks good, was it 10x8 crop in lightroom I think ?

yeah, this is 10x8 (5x4) its my preference for format ... i cant really explain why, i just like the slightly more closed in feel it gives...

Back