Critique Welcomed Heading Downtown

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
12112969384_c9192db8ce_c.jpg

Southbound on 110 this evening, towards downtown LA

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens - 2.5 sec f/11

A little later - this time with the 55-200 Lens

12112872953_d84fb866c9_c.jpg

nice, but i think the comps. would benefit from having a strong leading line in the foreground... ;)

excellent photos, the second one's comp. works better for me. what's with the rainbow lights in lane 4 on the first?

Very effective Chris and I especially like the 'solid' lines in the second.
Thanks Pete - traffic was certainly 'solid' - it took me another two and a half hours to get home from this location! :(

nice, but i think the comps. would benefit from having a strong leading line in the foreground... ;)

excellent photos, the second one's comp. works better for me. what's with the rainbow lights in lane 4 on the first?
Thanks Beth - will try and find something with perspective next time! ;)

I think the rainbow lights were from a police car rushing through traffic with lights and sirens running

I quite like the broken lights in the first, definitely the first time I have seen a shot of this nature. Two nice photos.
Thanks Julian - I like that pulsed effect as well - it really only happens at twilight with shorter exposure times. I guess I could crank-up the ISO and get the same effect as it gets darker, but I tend to avoid high ISO as I want to keep noise to a minimum.

I shot this on the Panoramic camera as well, so we'll see if that worked when the film comes back

Looks like you caught some evasive manuevering in that first one, Chris. Two nice shots. The colors are very nice. I seem to recall you posted a few images of San Diego area freeways at night from overpasses a couple of years ago. Those were really nice, too, as I recall.

Looks like you caught some evasive manuevering in that first one, Chris. Two nice shots. The colors are very nice. I seem to recall you posted a few images of San Diego area freeways at night from overpasses a couple of years ago. Those were really nice, too, as I recall.
Thanks Brian - yes, I think there were some emergency response vehicles trying to push through traffic.

The SD images were from the Cabrillo Bridge in Balboa Park - same idea, light trails and city backdrop

Chris;

Two words;

Fantastic..................FANTASTIC!!!!
Thanks Peter - took a while to find the location, but now I know where it is, I'm sure I'll be back

Crazy thought: black and white?
Good idea Rob - will give it a blast

Here's the shot from the G617 on Velvia 50 ASA - as a vertical pano image

2 mins @ f/22 (Timed using the iPhone stopwatch this time!)

12123944965_6a0b304991_b.jpg

Hope there are enough leading lines for Beth? :D

Wow! Nice. I like the second tele shot best. Lest clutter on the sides and the buildings stand taller behind the traffic. Well done there Chris. :)

Wonderful!
Thanks Rob

Wow! Nice. I like the second tele shot best. Lest clutter on the sides and the buildings stand taller behind the traffic. Well done there Chris. :)
Thanks Ralph - my good friend Gary likes that shot the best as well - I think it's the perspective compression effect that really adds punch as you say

It just gets better, utterly superb photography!

Respect.
Thank you sir :)

Smashing shot that last one, too, Chris.
Thanks Brian - there's something about this film stuff which is very appealing

Wowza that's some good Chris. The pano is incredible. Wicked good!!!!
Thanks Glenn - fits the format well - the camera was actually pointing down from the bridge quite a lot to get this view point

Very nice. I like the slightly more subtle rendering of the reds and the extra height works very well I think. :)
Thanks Pete - first time I've heard Velvia described as subtle ;)

Back