Help me please!

Dan Cattermole

Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble
Hi Folks

Right, here goes.... I shot a wedding on the weekend, and as you do, everything is shot in RAW. As I was a guest as well as the photographer you can imagine that it was a long day. As well as having assisstance by Curt Worton (member of RPF) The TOTAL number of shots taken in the 12hr period was well over 1500!! good going I think! but thats not the problem.

Curt's RAW files (IMG) are easily dealt with through Lightroom 2.6, as you would expect with a Canon, However,
My RAW files (ORF) taken on Olympus fail to upload everytime!!

So, to deal with my files and to get maximum potential out of them, I go into my Olympus master software and convert the files into TIFF (which if cause lightroom will happily except all day long) but then, each file is about 34mb and drains the memory of my computer and slows me right down.

I've done it this way (the awkward way) in the past, same number of pics, same sinario etc, and astounded myself that I even managed to get the photos back to a Client in less than 2 weeks, but my, didn't my head hurt!!

After all this my question is........ Is there a way to upload ORF (Olympus e-600) RAW files straight to Lightroom 2.6??? Anybody?? this would make the next 2 weeks alot more soothing for me :)

Many thanks

You need adobe camera raw 6.1 for the e600 ... this was part of lightroom 3
update to lightroom 3! :)

alternatively, try converting to .DNG which is a universal raw format of sorts i think ... that will work with 2.6

lightroom 3 is a better idea though as it has more cool features than 2 ;)

if you search for updates in lighroom it "should" downland the latest camera raw for you, enabling you to use the Oly Raw files.

(this is persuming the updates work just like those in Photoshop CS4 lol)

It doesn't Darren
Lightroom major upgrades ie 1-2-3 include features and cost money
Minor upgrades eg 3.1-3.2-3.3 are free but only include the odd bug fix and camera raw updates...

Infact, isn't that how photoshop works too??

Thanks for the rapid response guys, I'm gonna have a look at it through refreshed eyes tomorrow. Had enough now..... Gonna go to bed, and dream about RAW. haha!! Might have to upgrade to LR3. Doing the way I have been for a couple of years now is like digging a trench with a shovel whilst the keys to the digger next to me are in my back pocket. just got to get that key out!! Thanks guys!! I'll let you know how I get on. Zzzzzzz (RAW....) :)

Post some pics dancat .. Not seen any for a while!
You me and Tombro should meet up soon for some snapping if your lacking a bit of inspiration!

errrrrrr i not sure Hamish, mine just updates on it own usually........lol

Hahaha!!! To be honest, I thought Hamish was going to drop the 'get a new camera' comment, but how did forget about you Thomas!! Haha!! Nothing wrong with my squeaky snapper! :p

Definatley have to arrange another outing Hamish and Thomas (and of course if anyone else local) do you have anything in mind ?

A bit late I know but I think that Pete's suggestion will be the cheapest and easiest option in the interim. I imagine you can convert the files straight of the card to the computer so you don't end up with loads of duplicates in different formats.

Thanks guys, haven't got round to it just yet, the one thing I didn't have a look at is my import settings now you've mentioned it Paul, thanks dude! If I can change the format to a more compatible file that'd be great!! If not I will try the other option. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks guys

Yep, that's it! otherwise you end up just doubling up on all your images. Just cancel the auto import (if you have it turned on) and select the card as the source when you convert. It cuts out importing them images, converting them and then deleting the unusable ones.

Back