Infrared Red Rock

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Hiked out in Red Rock country, Sedona AZ today - walking North up Oak Creek from Red Rock Crossing.

With the sunny conditions, fluffy clouds, and lots of trees, I figured I'd shoot IR.

0145b009-338a-431c-8e31-0c0b1e20abf6-l

Oak Creek

1f473cda-1042-4f60-b119-3a14c4c92800-l

Oak Creek from Buddha Beach

24488e38-7612-4060-bbdc-0550db29f041-l

Rock Towers at Buddha Beach

e0c836f9-2ac8-459f-93e2-334c88b19fb7-l

Spring run-off in Oak Creek

71e840fd-ba67-4f87-95f3-3e1895e9f21f-l

Almost washed away

e7e03a9b-d5dc-4461-89f6-a1302d3a38bc-l

Love TR

8aeae22a-b136-4e32-a45f-6efc2fac341f-l

View over the valley

36ab7f83-f7e8-4165-9eb7-9a3507ef97fa-l

Cathedral Rock from Red Rock Crossing

The X-Pro1 kit was nice and light, and easy to carry on the hike - of course I needed a tripod for the IR work, and that was a pain to carry as it's big and heavy - may have to look at Carbon Fiber in the future.

You sure you didn't take this in winter!!! Them trees are covered in frost:eek:;):D.

You annoy me sometimes Chris ... I tried the it lark and couldn't get anything I was half happy with... You fairly flippantly give it a go a rock up with stuff like this!
There was a chap at my school like you, he was called Chris as it goes ... He was good at stuff, just gave stuff a go and it worked for him... Whilst the rest of us struggled to achieve anything half decent ...
Tom Brookes is the same ... And that Rob ... "I'm gonna have a go at photography ... Ah there we go I'm good at it ... Next!"
Makes me sick ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Paul - I know what you're saying, may be a mix of the IR and the PP I think - enhancing the texture

Rob - I liked those roots as well - not sure I did them full justice, might have to try again another time with a different look

Glen - I can guarantee you it wasn't frost, I was sweating my nuts off carrying the tripod in the heat!

Pete - I learned a lot from the day - especially how much foliage you can have without it just becoming a whiteout or a grey mess - you need some dark contrast or largish subject in the middle ground or foreground. I think the river does a good job, and I like the way the water goes black like the sky.

Gavin - it's both camera and PP - R72 IR filter on the camera, and the camera itself is natively able to record IR (Not all are) - then I PP to make a B&W image from the false color IR shot.

Hamish - sorry mate, didn't mean to bring back memories of school! :D

I love having a go - of course you don't get to see the hundreds of shots that didn't work! ;)

Thanks Darren - agreed, good mix of interesting rocks, nice skies, and some greenery :)

Thanks Brian - treepod... is that made by Really Right Stuff?

I've been eying up their carbon fiber tripods, but swmbo just caught me salivating over their website, so now I'm in trouble :D

I have several Induro carbon fiber tripods, and I have to say I've been very happy with them. Quality is first rate. The one you saw is my heaviest - the 414. It's about 6 lbs. But the smaller ones are better suited to hiking.

I have several Induro carbon fiber tripods, and I have to say I've been very happy with them. Quality is first rate. The one you saw is my heaviest - the 414. It's about 6 lbs. But the smaller ones are better suited to hiking.

Interesting, just been checking them out online, and they do seem to be Gitzo quality at a better price

Also found out they are made in China by Benro, and you can source the Benro versions direct from China as well. (Via EBAY or Buy Holga Camera, Holga Lens, Holga 35mm 135, Holga 120 in HK)

Did you go with their head(s), or go with another brand?

I preferred Induro over Benro because there are a few extra little touches that I appreciated, like having all three legs wrapped with foam padding (which is more comfortable to carry and also to hold when it's cold). And free toolkit, the extra spikes in the legs, etc. I have the AT014, the CX214, and the CT414. The 014 is aluminum - the others are carbon. I'd recommend the CT214 for a nice compromise on stability and lightness.

I also could have bought a Gitzo or an RRS - which were my original first choices - but Induro matched the quality for about 2/3 to 1/2 the price.

I have all Manfrotto heads, though. I use the 410, mostly, which allows me to adjust all axes independently and make minute changes. And they are cheap and well made at about $200.

Thanks Darren - went for the Carbon fiber CT213 - slightly taller than the 214 when fully extended.

ct-213.jpg

Amazingly light - even with the 3 way head - very hike friendly

Took it to La Jolla on the way home to test it out - pics posted in a new thread.

Local store, Gerorge's, was cheaper than Amazon - result!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the result - I have had Induro tripods for several years and have been very happy with them.

Back