Interiors help?

Peter Blake

I have an upcoming job where I need to photograph the interior of a building but there will be people in the shot. Apparently it's lit by fluorescent lights. I do have the opportunity to check it out prior to the shooting date. What I am thinking is, test shoot for the actual colour on the checking day, then set colour temp on the camera for that best result and acquire an appropriate gel for my flashes (which will be used to light the people in the shot). Does that sound like a plan or is there another method you would recommend?

At present I am unsure if there are windows to the outside, that will be in the shot - which could present a problem if I'm shooting any K other than daylight.

For colour temperature it will all depend on what is the dominant light so you need to see what the windows give you and maybe meter with and without the lights on to give you an idea. I would certainly keep any (and maybe every) light on that will be in shot and would default to daylight balance if using flash for the people. Do the people need to be sharp or can they be in motion with blur. It will be interesting to hear how @Hamish Gill deals with this.

I'd wing it :D

Without seeing the building its hard to say. But Pete is right about dominant light.

What's your primary concern? Skin tone in the people?

Back