Hmm...Contrast and Compare

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
The first was my first colour shot with the Q3, and it initially 'blue' me away, as I hadn't seen anything like that come out of any camera I'd ever had. Tonight I downloaded the Nik Collection which I had many years ago when it first came out. The version (6.8) promised to be much better. So I opened the same image in Nik Viveza and after a short time exploring, came up with the second image, which I actually prefer. I could further dabble with it, should I be moved to, for instance revealing more of the bridge. I've mentioned a few times my struggle with colour in the digital realm, finding a process I could work with. Anyway, your thoughts are welcome, pro or contra.

7am Feb 15 2024.jpg

Harr Lights SQ NikViv.jpg

I like that 2nd one a lot! I was perplexed by the scaffolding on the righthand side of the photo - what's going on there?

I think I prefer the first... although the second is certainly nice.
What did you do? I would guess it's primarily a kind of split tone - more blue/green in the shadows, and a much warmer tone in the highlights....?
I sometimes enjoy working out how a certain look was achieved. Challenge sometimes.... 😄

Gary - the scaffolding is there because the owner is getting his roof re-tiled. Many of these houses are 18th and 19th century, which while delightful come with repair and restore issues.

Stevenson - Is Gawen your first name? Anyway, this is where I get flummoxed. There are so many options with colour, and the more I study it, the more I get lost. So the beauty of Nik Viveza is that a team of colour experts have worked it all out for me. So there is a panel either side of my image. On the left there are a dozen or so basic tonalities that I could choose from to change the image globally. On the right panel there is a whole host of micro-managing tools for those who like to get under the hood, as it were, and put their own changes on the global change. What you see here is the global change, with no input from me. But today I hope to find time to explore the options with the right panel. It’s such a world away from putting a role of Velvia into a camera…but in some ways the guys who made Velvia were supplying the global version, which you could play with in the darkroom or import into a digital darkroom.

Gary - the scaffolding is there because the owner is getting his roof re-tiled. Many of these houses are 18th and 19th century, which while delightful come with repair and restore issues.

Stevenson - Is Gawen your first name? Anyway, this is where I get flummoxed. There are so many options with colour, and the more I study it, the more I get lost. So the beauty of Nik Viveza is that a team of colour experts have worked it all out for me. So there is a panel either side of my image. On the left there are a dozen or so basic tonalities that I could choose from to change the image globally. On the right panel there is a whole host of micro-managing tools for those who like to get under the hood, as it were, and put their own changes on the global change. What you see here is the global change, with no input from me. But today I hope to find time to explore the options with the right panel. It’s such a world away from putting a role of Velvia into a camera…but in some ways the guys who made Velvia were supplying the global version, which you could play with in the darkroom or import into a digital darkroom.
Interesting. I've never tried Nik. Maybe I'll see if there's a free trial... :D
Oh, and Stevenson is in fact my first name, Gawen the surname. (old English family incidentally!).
It is a poser... I am often just known as Steve, for convenience. :cool:

Steve - I'm using the free trial of the whole suite of Nik products. They try to convince you that you need Lightroom or DxO to partner with it, but you don't. They are stand-alone programs.

Gianluca - I anticipated your reaction, and I kind of know what you mean. I prefer colour film work, but, to be honest, I can't afford the whole continued cost in buying film and paying for development and scanning. So I'm trying to find my way into digital colour, and it is not wholly satisfying.

Meanwhile, here's the finished (in that I've had enough of it) version, with the 'legs' of the bridge brought out more.

Attachments

• Harr Lights SQ NikVivSh (1).jpg
    Harr Lights SQ NikVivSh (1).jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 10
with the 'legs' of the bridge brought out more
Good that you said something because I was flipping through the two versions and didn't see a difference until I saw this in your post above.

Going the other way, I just did my first color negative to positive this morning :) just practice though, not one of mine. I haven't shot any color film in 50+ years (but I'm thinking I might).

I find the two versions tell different stories. The first (blue) one with the more visible poles/pillars/whatever in the far distance looks like it fades away to a rural distance, while the second (teal) one with the glow suggests that there may be a town in the distance. But I find the blue one much more realistic.

Gary - if you do shoot colour film, remember to share the results here!

Gord - I like photos that tell stories. I agree with your Blue story (so to speak), but for the teal one I see the glow as something mysterious, almost alien, strange. As for the blue one being ‘realistic’, I’m not interested in realistic photography. Even what I see with my eyes is not necessarily real, philosophically and materially o_O

but for the teal one I see the glow as something mysterious, almost alien, strange. As for the blue one being ‘realistic’, I’m not interested in realistic photography. Even what I see with my eyes is not necessarily real, philosophically and materially o_O
I do like this kind of discussion - it shows how many different approaches there are to both taking and appreciating imagery. The funny thing is that often, after someone explains their point of view I find myself agreeing. Even if I was opposed before. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;)

I like photos that tell stories. I agree with your Blue story (so to speak), but for the teal one I see the glow as something mysterious, almost alien, strange. As for the blue one being ‘realistic’, I’m not interested in realistic photography. Even what I see with my eyes is not necessarily real, philosophically and materially o_O
I agree with your point about what may or may not be real (in any sense). My favourite term for this stuff is "plausible", and I probably should have used it in my earlier reply, since neither image is actually "realistic".

The first was my first colour shot with the Q3, and it initially 'blue' me away, as I hadn't seen anything like that come out of any camera I'd ever had. Tonight I downloaded the Nik Collection which I had many years ago when it first came out. The version (6.8) promised to be much better. So I opened the same image in Nik Viveza and after a short time exploring, came up with the second image, which I actually prefer. I could further dabble with it, should I be moved to, for instance revealing more of the bridge. I've mentioned a few times my struggle with colour in the digital realm, finding a process I could work with. Anyway, your thoughts are welcome, pro or contra.

View attachment 18727

View attachment 18728
I feel for the blue, as a Norseman normally would do. :)

Back