It is a man's world, Sicily.

Ivar Dahl-Larsen

It is a mans world, Sicily..jpg
There is usually a story to all my images of people. This is no exception. In this small town with a view to Mnt. Etna, my wife and I met this man who could not speak a word of English and I am far from being fluent in Italian 😇 There was no woman to be seen in this square or in the town for that matter, except my wife of another culture and ethnic origin. A charmer he was and I understood when he uttered; " bambino " and with a smile I answered, " Grande bambino " and the rest is history.

Last edited:
This is a great shot, it tells a lot. And for me, as an Italian, it means even more (for better or worse, but especially for worse).

This is a great shot, it tells a lot. And for me, as an Italian, it means even more (for better or worse, but especially for worse).
Thank you, Gianluca. The man was curious and as a photographer, so am I. We met older people in several remote towns in Sicily, who had not seen a woman as my wife in real life, but she was always met with respect and dignity. There is no reason to feel sad about your countrymen at all Gianluca. During our endeavours in Italy, we were always at ease and felt welcome. And we'll gladly return any time.

Back