Wish me well...

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Dear Friends,

I had a stroke on Monday, mercifully a relatively minor one, affecting just my speech and swallowing. It came out of the blue. The doctor in the Stroke Unit at the hospital said that these minor ones can often signal a larger one is on the way within a week. My mother died from a stroke, so this is serious. But he also said that they got the right drugs into me very quickly, two days later, which significantly increases my chances of survival.

So, I'm at home, trying to relax. I've a good chance of pulling through, after which the speech problem could be with me for some time, possibly years. The good news is that I can still play my instruments, take photos, read and write, go for walks around this great city of Edinburgh, and my amazing wife, Susan, is by my side.

I'll pop in over the next week, as evidence that I'm okay.

Best wishes to you all,

Rob

I can't imagine how you are feeling right now, or how your wife might be feeling. I am very close to you and wish you all the best to get over the shock as quickly as possible. Fortunately, based on my indirect experience, the recovery may not be very long even in persons older than you. I wish you the best in putting this trauma behind you.

Hang in there Rob! I had one in April 2021 that clobbered the retina in my left eye. In fact it was a series that hit several days apart, going to the hospital each time and being sent home until with the last one my partial blindness became permanent. You'll be in my prayers.

Gary - so sorry to hear of the loss of your eye!
Not a total loss. Just the center. If I were to look at you with my right eye closed, I wouldn't see your head/face - just a gray cloud. I "see" around the cloud but when I shift my focus, whatever I'm looking at is obscured by the cloud.

With both eyes open, I'd say that I rarely notice it but my left eye used to be my "strong" eye.

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that Rob! Take care and all the very best wishes from me. A very elderly friend of mine in Australia had a severe stroke around a year ago and has made an excellent recovery from being unable to speak at all back to his usual cheeky self 😉.

Enjoy yourself with your daughter.

That was a shock to read, but I'm glad you are home and Okay. Our accountant had a fairly serious stroke at Xmas. However, he has made a fantastic come-back and the hospital were great. His walking is a bit impaired, but he is getting stronger every day and is already back in the office 3 days a week.

Luckily for us you have proved to be a past-master at photos around the house. So, no excuses! ;)

Seriously though, all the very best, and do as Susan tells you!

Truly a speedy recovery Rob, I'm glad to hear you made it to treatment swiftly.

My dad suffered a stroke back in November last year, however I mention it to say keep belief that you can recover - he is 82, and we genuinely believed he was at best coming back with dementia setting in or limited mobility - to all our amazement he has made it back to near as his previous self.

I only have the experience of the you on here, but your character shines through even this digital numbness, strong willed and I'm sure you will be back behind the lens and passions you have soon.

I hope so, Wes, and also believe I will. Many people have been through stronger strokes than I, and have completely recovered. My speech is already improving, but swallowing is a nightmare. Each meal exhausts me, even when just soup. But that too will improve. After the initial high anxiety, I do now believe I will recover. Thanks for the info on your dad. He did brilliantly!

Back