Critique Welcomed Kensal Green Cemetery

Peter Roberts

Taking advantage of a day with low autumnal sun I continued my round of London's 'Magnificent Seven' cemeteries with a trip to Kensal Green.
Here are two resultant images that I was particulary pleased with.

IMG_0014.jpg
North Terrace Catacomb and Colonade

IMG_0007.jpg
North Avenue
Both: Minolta SRT 101b / Rokkor 28mm f3.5 / Kentmere 400 / ID-11

These are great, even given the inherent photogenic qualities of cemeteries and especially the big London ones- those textures of decayed masonry have come out beautifully. I've never use Kentmere 400 but recently had a lovely time making pics with Ilford PAN400 which some claim to be same/similar.

These are great, even given the inherent photogenic qualities of cemeteries and especially the big London ones- those textures of decayed masonry have come out beautifully. I've never use Kentmere 400 but recently had a lovely time making pics with Ilford PAN400 which some claim to be same/similar.
Thanks for that, Michael.
Old cemeteries have indeed become a bit of a cliché. So much so that I hesitated to post these.
I only tried Kentmere 400 recently when I wanted something cheap to test a couple of cameras. I was so unexpectedly impressed by its tonal range, certainly the mid-tones, that I've been putting it through its paces with a few more rolls. Its not particularly (spelled it correctly this time!) contrasty but in reasonably harsh light, as here, or with a yellow filter it gives just the right amount of oomph for my taste.

You've certainly exploited the lighting (and the location) to perfection here, Peter. I like especially all the angles in the second shot: like characters in a crowd all trying to be in the shot.
Thanks. Pete. I do find find myself drawn to the play of the light in these places, the way it shafts, pools and dapples on the crumbling stones and monuments. You're spot on with the second shot. It struck me as being almost choreographed, a sort of petrified danse macabre.

The second shot is just clearly a still from some unmade horror film. All those things move towards you when you're not looking. It's great.
Thanks, Tim. Perhaps it should be 'Marche Macabre' then. Sounds a bit more menacing, and anyway I like the alliteration.
Just don't blame me if you have nightmares ;)

Back