Large Format, Paper Negative, DIY Camera Project

In response to Hamish's DIY camera challenge I decided to build a simple large format camera, similar in design to some of the early 19th century designs. I'd thought first of making it out of wood but with sheet plastic material I can do it in the studio without making too much mess. I was planning on calling it a Brown Boxy but unfortunately I could only find black, red or yellow plastic. Here are a few 'during construction' shots to record progress.

So, given that the deadline is approaching fast, yesterday evening I made a start on my DIY camera. On Saturday, after reviewing the materials available locally, I bought a couple of sheets of low density (actually fine 'blown'), black plastic sheet (15 Euros) from a DIY store here in Potsdam (guttagliss hobbycolor - Gutta international). So far all of the joints have been cemented using adhesive but I might tape some with black 'Gaffa' tape as well in case the joints leak light. The lens was originally intended to be an old reprographics camera lens I've had lying around for years but I recently bought a pre-1920 Hicro Hess-Ives Corp. 250 mm f1:8, large format lens on German eBay from Poland (3.50 Euros!) and that will be easier to fit as it has a collar intended for a wooden panel (and a shutter!). The rest of the design specification is obviously still top-secret at present as there are industrial spies everywhere these days!! ;)

DIYCamera-1.jpg

DIYCamera-2.jpg

Last edited:
... sorry Pete, had to move this in to its own thread as I feel it deserves one ...
Perhaps you could re-title the thread more appropriately!
I have started mk1 too

Looks very interesting ... and works!
How are you going to hold the film?

Thanks Hamish. I intend to make both a screen holder and a film holder from the same material. Tedious to cut the frames but not too difficult (still have most of my fingers!). I need to improve the focus 'mechanism' though as it is difficult to slide the lens 'frame' in and out of the main body. I have just reinforced the bottom panel and made a tripod mount so that might make it easier.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results, I have a semi Fisheye that I would like to use but has no shutter so I'd need to manufacture something, this is what is putting it all on hold atm

I have an old folding six 20 that I chopped up for a pinhole, still have all the bits, so may have a look at that, but won't be easy.. hope hamish isn't planning on an early end date :D

That is looking suitably awesome Pete!
what could we rename this thread to that is more fitting to this camera design ... id like to make it into an article see...

Back