Learning to do street photography

Jim Kuo

The man in the hat
Attempted some street photography over the weekend. I would love to hear what you guys think, and am hoping to learn from the advices and/or criticisms.

#1, his expression reminds me of the strain that many of us suffer from the everyday rat race.
IMG_7391.jpg

#2, the kid seemed to be pleased with his/her (I assume, early) steps, and the joy of fatherhood.
IMG_7395.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Jim - I think you're capturing great moments - they need a little cropping perhaps, to focus the viewer on the subject - or teh use of a longer lens to really fill the frame more with the target.

Just cropping #1 square, and loosing the couple on the left really makes the picture I reckon.

Street photography is not an easy thing to take on ...
But having the balls to stand in the street and take photos is half the battle and you seem to have got that bit down!
Some interesting pp, especially the first one..
The first one is also a better image overall!
As Chris says the second one doesn't quite focus the eye, but I'd perhaps disagree that using a longer lens is the key ... Although it can be helpful!
Try and think about the background!
In the second on, If you catch a more subtle human event in the foreground the composition of the background needs to be a little stronger when using a wider lens, perhaps try shooting straight on to the shops? If your at an angle to the background like in the second image the eye can be naturally led out of the shot... Being square on is more likely to focus the eye to what is in the foreground... Does that make sence ...

Thanks for Chris' and Hamish's feedbacks. This is my second attempt on the #1 cropping.

IMG_7391.jpg

Amongst the chaos going on the street, I was too slow and too shy to focus properly on my intended subjects (hence the mis-focus on both of these photos)... #1 was shot at 75mm end and #2 at 28mm end of my Tamron.

The tip about shooting square on the background when using wide angle lens makes a lot of sense to me, I will keep this idea in mind when I am in similar shooting situation next time. I have a pending Paris trip and hopefully I can take better and more interesting street photos armed with the newly found knowledge.

Last edited:
paris is an amazing place for that sort of photography ... have you been before?
get your self up to montmatre ... the top of the sacre coeur is basically as high as the eifel tower and a lot less busy ... there is a market near the top of the hill with loads of stalls selling art with stacks of street photography ops all around there and the near by streets ... loads of flights of steps and ally ways, some beautiful some dingy as hell ...
good luck ... i shall look forward to seeing that shots ...

I've been to Paris a few times before, but this would be the first time I go with photography intention in mind :)

From what you described, having a tele lens at vantage points sounds like a good idea, I will make sure I have my tripod and 70-200 with me.

As a side note, I've spent today visiting most of the camera shops in West End, hoping to find a Canon 28mm F1.8 or at least 35mm F2 for a bit of street photography. No luck at all...

I understand that this inconvenience is nothing comparing to what Japanese people are going through. I wish them the best and hope they will recover soon.

Last edited:
I understand that this inconvenience is nothing comparing to what Japanese people are going through. I wish them the best and hope they will recover soon.

well said... i feel the same ... moaning i cant get a good price on a second hand camera ... just makes you feel selfish eh
nothing like a bit of perspective to ground those material desires ...

should fuss to much over the tripod... spontaneity is key ... and i wouldnt want to carry one up the stairs to the top of the sacre coure ;)

I was hoping to shed some weight by bringing a light wide angle prime instead of the 28-75 (not finding a 28 or 35 mm means I am taking the Tamron after all). I am planning to use the 28-75 as the walk around lens for street photography. And the 70-200 or 17-40 for landscape/cityscape shots.

Luckily, the weight of my Velborn EL Carmagne 430 is somewhat managable :) I actually find the tripod quite useful in many situations.

So it looks like I am taking my full gears on this trip (except the 50 F1.8) :)

Back