Lensbaby Edge-80 Optic

The Edge-80 is the longest focal length optic from Lensbaby to date (Lensbaby Edge 80 Optic | 80mm f/2.8 Tilt Optic for Selective Focus Photography). It is part of their Optic Swap system and so can be used in all of the latest housings from the Muse to the Composer Pro. It can also be used in conjunction with the Close-Up Adapters (effectively extension tubes). Unlike many of the optics, the 'distortion' created by using the Edge-80 is in a single plane and this, in the same way as a tilt/shift lens or a technical camera, is achieved by tilting the lens axis in relation to the film / sensor plane.

The Edge-80 Optic

Edge80__18398_zoom.jpg

Mounted on a Composer Housing

Edge80_CompPro__69695_zoom.jpg

This is a shot taken in my garden this afternoon with the lens on-axis and parallel to the sensor plane (in this case a Nikon D3).

Edge80-2.jpg

And this is an extreme version of the effect that can be achieved.

Edge80-1.jpg

Looking at the examples on the Lensbaby site and considering the focal length (80 mm) I get the impression that the optic was designed with portraiture in mind but of course it can be used for may other types of image.

For example: http://www.realphotographersforum.com/landscape-architecture/7227-other-bank.html

Like all Lensbabies, it takes some practice to get the effect you want and there is some play in the focus mechanism. However, this optic does have a proper aperture comprised of 12 blades and renders smooth out of focus elements.

Edge80_onside__85364_zoom.jpg

The Edge-80 when tilted does throw the meter off and so some compensation is necessary. This is not really a problem when shooting digitally but it would call for some experience of the optic if you were shooting onto film. All-in-all though it is an excellent addition to the range and, used in moderation, gives some interesting effects.

Nice review Pete - often looked at their lenses but yet to take the plunge

What made you make the purchase?

Nice one Pete!
So is the only lens they do with actual aperture blades still?
Ive lost track completely!

The result looks much more like what you might expect from a "proper" lens with a band of focus rather than a sweet spot

I bought the original Lensbaby when it first came out (the one made from a bit of vacuum cleaner hose with a lens glued on the end!). I liked the idea of the distortion / selective focus and I used it quite a bit. Then they brought out things like the Control Freak and close-up lenses etc. Over the years I seem to have bought them all. The latest versions use a system of optics mounted in the various housing that can be swapped both within a housing and between housings. Mostly they have been fairly wide angle (even a pin hole and a zone plate) so the idea of a longer focal length really appealed. That's why I bought it. The Sweet 35 optic also has a proper aperture diaphragm but has a more 'normal' Lensbaby aesthetic. Something wider with the linear zone would be good. I'm sure there will be more from the company.

I guess it is either an original Control Freak or a 3G. The optic swap ones are identical in function. The optics used in them have a coloured ring on the front (indicating which is loaded) and three small square keyways around the front of the optic that allow you to use the lid of a container to remove the optic and replace it with a different one. All bar the Sweet 35 and Edge-80 take drop in aperture 'stops'. The later ones are magnetic.

Last edited:
Back