Liquid Emulsion.........

Kev Pugh

Some thing I haven't tinkered with in a while but thought it might be nice to pull it out now we have these lovely long dark nights, it might inspire me to set the dark room up again..:)

Anyway, the story was I wanted to create a truly one off never to be repeated no matter how hard I tried using wet processing.

This was the result.

Liquid Emulsion painted onto Water colour paper and processed through Ilford Multigrade. The shot was via my OM30 on 125 HP4

Arley Railway Station by Kev Pugh, on Flickr

The second was an attempt at something unthinkable, photo on Aluminium.........bloody difficult but reckon it could work with some decent sheet, this one was a rough piece of scrap I had knocking about.

Aluminium print by Kev Pugh, on Flickr

I have tried on timber but those trials were unsuccessful will be revisiting this when I have some time to spare.

Just thought they may be of interest,

Interesting Kev. Played around with some years ago too. Was the aluminium print done with the same emulsion? I can imagine that getting it to adhere to the surface would be difficult due to the oxide layer though. I wonder if you could print a negative though and use it as the resist layer for some sort of etching / anodising process. Have you ever contemplated gum - bichromate printing. You could use digital negative and only needed subdued light for preparing the paper for contact printing.

Pete it was same process as the first, The Alu was cleaned first then a layer of spray varnish over the give it an adhesive coating then LE applied.

Never tried the gum - bichromate. tend to use Diginegs for Cyanotypes, must dig them out again too.

I had hoped to do some G-B prints this year but haven't found the time. Managed to buy a S/H UV vacuum printer earlier in the year so it will definitely happen at some point. Originally I was never a great fan of cyanotypes but then I bought a book by Eddie Ephraums / Allan Jenkins (Allan Jenkins Photography) where he combines cyanotypes with a coffee stain that changed all that. Made a series of shots using a soft focus lens of LF (with a digital) and created a digital simulation just to play and plan to do some real CT's when I get a chance. I thought I had posted one of these but it seems I haven't. So I will!

A friend of mine does alot of CT's she recently did a series 'Blueprint Birmingham' I think they are really good worth a look.

Siân Aldridge Photography: Blueprint Birmingham

She was telling me that at one show someone said to her, I really like these but can I have one in red!

I don't like copying but the LB might lend itself nicely to CT with or without staining, I don't use it nearly enough....

Yes especially the shots of 'old Brum' they are well suited, and as you say the choice of paper works.

I remember working from 'blueprints' in my draughtsman days...didn't think then that I would still be looking at them 35 years on :D

I'm assuming you have a dark room Hamish...........or access or it'll be my modest conversion, but happy to.:)

your modest conversion?
do you have a dark room?
Do you have an enlarger then?
I have 2 but they are going unused at present and will until i get a bigger house!
You are welcome to them until i have the space (probably about 5 years until i move house) ... they are gooduns i think ... nikon lens too :)
Nova Darkroom - SH Durst M370 B+W Head

I have a converted backroom that doubles as guest room, lacks the refinements but it works for the limited work I do in there....we will talk soon me thinks

Back