35mm shots from home

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I've been shooting old out-of-date film with the Konica Hexar. This was originally Portra 400, but the colour was rendered so extremely poorly I was pushed to rendering them in b&w in Exposure 7, with a Polopan emulsion setting.

Let me talk you through them:

1. A View With A Room - me lazily lying on the couch. This is what I saw. There was no attempt to choose a satisfying balance, but nonetheless I am satisfied with the balance!

A View with a Room sm.jpg

2. The Chip Shop Scandal! - The lower half of this building belongs to the chip shop. The woman on the top floor tried to persuade the chip shop owner to contribute to a paint job, but he refused. So she embarrassed him by just getting her floor painted. Everyone knows. See how exciting life can be in a small seaside town?!

Chip Shop Paint Not sm.jpg

3. One of those type of plants - in our back garden. When shooting this in colour, I wish I'd had a b&w film in the camera...

plant sm.jpg

4. The Gardner, Landlady and Wife on the 'pletie'...

Susan on landing.jpg

Room with a view is timeless Rob. That zig zag leading line held my eye 👌. Interesting you mention having to convert the expired portra to monochrome, I may find myself in this boat when I develop an expired roll I shot recently.

Cheers, Wes. I think that first shot is the best I’ve taken in a long while. Something about it, to my eye, is just right. The rest I’m not so happy about.

It will be interesting to see what you think if your own auld Portra images…

I've been shooting old out-of-date film with the Konica Hexar. This was originally Portra 400, but the colour was rendered so extremely poorly I was pushed to rendering them in b&w in Exposure 7, with a Polopan emulsion setting.

Let me talk you through them:

1. A View With A Room - me lazily lying on the couch. This is what I saw. There was no attempt to choose a satisfying balance, but nonetheless I am satisfied with the balance!

View attachment 18093

2. The Chip Shop Scandal! - The lower half of this building belongs to the chip shop. The woman on the top floor tried to persuade the chip shop owner to contribute to a paint job, but he refused. So she embarrassed him by just getting her floor painted. Everyone knows. See how exciting life can be in a small seaside town?!

View attachment 18094

3. One of those type of plants - in our back garden. When shooting this in colour, I wish I'd had a b&w film in the camera...

View attachment 18095

4. The Gardner, Landlady and Wife on the 'pletie'...

View attachment 18096
Thanks for putting the monochrome from off-color film idea in my head. I love the Chip Shop Scandal story. So many great little stories right under our noses. Fun to have them documented.

Cheers, Glen. That’s the most scandalous and exciting story round here since they burned local ‘witches’ in the 16th century. Literally nothing has happened between then and now. Which is actually why I like it here :)

Cheers, Wes. I think that first shot is the best I’ve taken in a long while. Something about it, to my eye, is just right. The rest I’m not so happy about.

It will be interesting to see what you think if your own auld Portra images…
I'll be sure to share once I've got them developed - had some success I felt with another go at C-41 development and scans so been buoyed to try again after some poor first results.

Back