Lloyds TSB - British Weather Photographer Of The Year

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
The £100 weekly prizes have now been allocated. 12 finalists from all successful entries will be chosen by our panel of top professional photographers for their flair, technique and originality in capturing the British weather.

http://www.lloydstsbweathercompetition.co.uk/finalists/

Results are in after 10,000 entries!

And the winner is...

lrg_4e20a44832182f075cb85e837c123f8c.jpg

Last edited:
Done and done! :)

good work ... now you got it ... anything you can think of that would make an article.. fill ya boots

what a good photo too, right iup my street that sorta thing

dont rate it, the winner got 10 grand I believe!

i dont really rate that shot at all.....nowt special really im my opinion........!!

If that the best they can find outta 10 000 enteries well i am shocked........

10K wow wow wow......lol

no and there were better shots shortlisted but I still didn't think they were that good.

I'm especially bitter cause I entered and really wanted that 10K!

I like it, I'm supprised people don't ...
It's a photo about the weather, they have managed to capture an image o just that, it's difficult to date, despite being in city, it's even difficult to ID the city. It's not to obvious like a snowy landscape or ducks on ice. There's lot of good compostional features like the wheel lines that help lead the eye down the street and it would appear to almost work within the slightly harder to achieve golden ratio - to a point at least... the subject pair of people have a reactionary walk to the weather, they also don't impose on the view down the street. There is also a certain irony in the "cold drink" stand on the left and you can make out Xmas decorations, without them being to obvious... The high contrast black and white ands to the bleakness of the image... Yep, it's a good image if you ask me...
So come on then people, put your money where your mouth is and tell me why it's not a good photo? :)

o rite fair enough haha good point .......care to share your entry with us...........?

Hamish

Its just a boring image....nowt interesting, bog standard street scene. It does however meet the criteria i suppose. I would even go to say that for a competition entry the white snow is bordering to be blown out............or is that my screen..?

Not really into technical aspects of why a photo is good or not, I think liking a photo is highly personal thing, its just not for me........lol

Daz

I was just thinking I might head up town and see what I could achieve ... The thing with capturing something like that is it's a waiting game, find the right position and stand their freezing ya noots off untill something comes along ... Like with all photos within a category of "weather" there has to be an element of luck... I don't think I could just go out one day with intent and beat any of the enterys on that first page! "Right place right time" is a big factor I'd say, and kudos to all the entries that achieved something that that factor came in to play!

I will do the same later mate.........if it snows......lol

Hamish

Its just a boring image....nowt interesting, bog standard street scene. It does however meet the criteria i suppose. I would even go to say that for a competition entry the white snow is bordering to be blown out............or is that my screen..?

Not really into technical aspects of why a photo is good or not, I think liking a photo is highly personal thing, its just not for me........lol

Daz

i agree, different strokes for different strokes ... but not all of my points were technical

heres another one for you ... the subject people are the only people that stand out as wearing light colours ... an accident maybe, but a good one ...

its faults - yes lost whites .. but not many ... and its not straight ...

i think this does indicate wuite nicely a difference between tastes though ... i find this sort of thing ... an image of weather that contains a human reaction to it a lot more interesting than some foggy trees ... thats not to say foggy trees arnt interesting ... but i would be more inclined to refer to them as "bog standard landscape" than this "bog standard street scene"...
it might just be as simple as you know how hard it is (from experience) to get good landscape images - something i havent done much ... and vise versa????

Just goes to show it's worth entering these competitions - you never know!

10k is just nuts - I'd enter a few shots for a shot at ten grand :)

We should make sure that as people see photo competitions - we post links to them on the forum.

That way we can all take a punt at winning them - see if we can grab some forum glory!!

good idea chris.......i usually hear about these comps when they are juding the enteries and its to late to enter.........lol

i agree too much wasted space, backs of peoples heads, nothing special at all, you could of sent a dog into the streets with a camera tied to its back and you could have got the same image!

Sorry Hamish, and also I can identify the city, Williamson Sq I believe ;)

Well, I'm with you Hamish. I like it too. DoF about right, reasonable lead of the eye through the image (especially like the lady with umbrella). Nice capture of the snow falling. Looks and feels wintry. Maybe not worth 10K but, that's competitions for you.

Back