RHS Photog of the year - A great photo!

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Spotted this on some day time telly yesterday (I had the afternoon off ;)), the Royal Horticultural Society photography competition winner. I liked a few of the shots, but actually, I am in complete agreement with the chosen winner!
The shot by Steven Webb shot into the sun shine, at flower "eye" level is just stunning imo... and whats more it is seemingly indicative of the photographer style as a "fine art" Photographer!
This is the image in question

1st---Stephen-Webb

and here is a link to the website of the photographer himself and another great photo shot into the sunshine
British Landscapes
more of the images that were entered into this compo on the RHS website
Photo competition / RHS Gardening
So, yeah, Congratulations Stephen, well deserved win in my opinion!

I do kinda wish i had entered this though ... not saying its better ... by any stretch, but i would think it might appeal to the judges who awarded Stephens shot the winner

_DSC5106-1.jpg

although, looking at it now ... it looks a little dark ... i might dig it out and have another play with it! :)

Ye don't get me wrong I quite like the picture that won but i see so many better how do you judge what the judges are after that is the question lol.......And no i don't particularity mean my own lol

HA! I prefer Stephens... its all subjective int it!
I often see photo comps where I think other shots were more deserving!
But in this instance i find the winning shot the most aesthetically pleasing ... I guess me and the judge have similar taste!
We like what we like ... and i love this image!
The coolness of the WB is perfect for spring time light, the eye is focuses nicely in to the subject and the context of the image brings images of English county side to mind...
I really do think it is a better photo than mine, both objectively and subjectively speaking ...
At the end of the day, it won against a lot of other images too ... so it must be good! ;)
All credit to the chap i say!

I don't rate the winning image either, yes its nice but there are sooooooo much better out there, saying that i haven't seen the other images that were entered

Daz

... People always have this negative reaction to comp winners ...
They might be "better" images out there, but they wern't entered, or the judge preferred this one!
Thats really the end of it imo ...
Im happy for the chap... and id like to think more people here were too, regardless of individual opinion of the image!

... People always have this negative reaction to comp winners ...
They might be "better" images out there, but they wern't entered, or the judge preferred this one!
Thats really the end of it imo ...
Im happy for the chap... and id like to think more people here were too, regardless of individual opinion of the image!

I agree totally true, i wasn't a judge my opinion means nothing lol

Certainly he has some nice images on his site and his style does capture England very well. His entry is not quite 'my cup of tea' and I think my favourites are all in the Young Photographer section. But I guess, as you rightly say, out of the entries, this one ticked the most boxes for the judges. Hopefully it will a boost to his career.

Back