Macro lens for canon FD mount?

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Rhona, my daughter, is looking for a macro lens for her Canon AE1. She intends to use it for photographing close ups of teeth (not attached to a mouth). Art students! :rolleyes:

Any suggestions sub £100?

Thanks, Beth. I'm wondering how macro that can be when the Closest Focusing Distance is 4ft 6in?
1:7 magnification on the fd 135mm f/2.8 which has minimum focusing distance of 1.3m compared to 1.5m with the f/3.5. but with some extension tubes you can improve that. do a flickr search, this lens has quite the following with micro 4/3 users. or look at the fd 50mm f/3.5 macro. it's a little pricier but has a 1:2 macro ratio without the extension tubes. the ones i saw ran much closer to your $100 limit.

Rob, Rhona could try some "Close up filters". They act like magnifiers that screw onto the front of your lens so you can focus a lot closer and you can often get them in a pack of different sizes that you can stack on top of each other.

Tamron Adaptall 90mm f2.5 one of the bst MAcro lenses made, You can use on various cameras by changing the Adaptall mout.

Ian

Rob, the Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro lens is still made although now as a fixed mount Autofocus lens, available in a few mounts.

Two of my friends use one for their nature and wildlife photography, originally with a Pentax K mount adapter. The there was an extension tube available as well for 1:2 to 1:1 use.

I think the SP series were all Adaptall-II lenses, as long as you get this type it doesn't matter what mount is fitted as you can switch it to a Canon FD Apdaptall mount. I have a spare Canon FD Adaptall-II mount that I was sent in error, if you needed it you could have it for the cost of postage.

Ian

Back