Man Ray Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, London.

A new exhibition starts this week at the NPG in London featuring the work of Man Ray. There is also a catalogue of the exhibition (cheaper from the NPG website than Amazon) for sale along with some postcards, a poster and a bag.

Solarizedportrait1.jpg

With the Ansel Adams exhibition at the National Maritime Museum a visit to London becomes worthwhile.

I ordered the Ansel Adams catalogue for "At the water's edge" and it is beautifully printed and good value for £20 - in my opinion. I will take a look at the Man Ray offerings so thank you for information.

I guess it's not coming to Texas. :( Is the catalog worth getting? My dad is in the hospital as of this AM, so I may check it out while I am sitting there with him tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your father Steve. I'v ordered the catalogue but it will arrive in the UK and so I won't see it until early March. I'm not sure if there will be any detail of his technique in the book / exhibition - I suspect he didn't keep detailed notes! And I'm not sure if he solarised the plate / sheet or the paper.

There is more information on the catalogue here: National Portrait Gallery - Man Ray Portraits The cost is £28.99 for the paperback including UK postage.

I can only speak for the Ansel Adams catalogue that I received last week from the National Maritime Museum shop (the catalogue is printed in the USA as the exhibition originates from Peabody Essex Museum in Salem). The quality of printing is high and the prints are very well reproduced. There is little technical information as such, but more of an attempt to put the pictures in context through discussing influences and the way he worked. The biographical notes are interesting in themselves and his development as a photographer is illustrated by the inclusion of some of his early prints, and through the inclusion of a few images by other photographers that influenced him. Citations are included, as are numerous suggestions for further reading. The catalogue is also fully indexed. In other words it is a scholarly, informative work about the man, but you will not see any f-stops or shutter speeds listed. In my opinion the Adams catalog is a bargain at £20 and a publication I will return to many times in the future.

If this is typical of the standards expected for this genre of catalogue, then the Man Ray catalogue should also be well worth getting - but this is just my speculation. I have just ordered the paperback version so I will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Last edited:
It can be bought here: Ansel Adams | Current ExhibitionsAnsel Adams: At the Water

I have realised that while colour photography can impress me, it is the monochrome work that really moves me. This might be to do with the era I grew up in (I am now in my early 60s) and there are always exceptions to the rule. The next part of my digital journey is to learn more about film emulations and toning (I have DxO FilmPack and while not as flexible as Silver Efex Pro it is interesting to explore) and later this year to return to silver halide technology as part of my next college evening class.

Pretty much! Lee Miller accidentaly discovered the technique through a mistake while developing a plate. I guess she exposed it t light briefly while developing the film. You can achieve a solarised effect by either brief exposure of a negative part-way through development or a print. The easiest is the print as you can use a weak flash to expose the print just as the image begins to appear in the tray. Timing the point of exposure of a negative is much harder. However, you could do something with your semi-stand method I would guess; a fraction of a second in dim light would be enough, maybe at the 25% point in development. Ideally you want to expose the whole negative so maybe a way to experiment would be to take a whole roll of 120 film of the same subject and then cut it into 4 bits in the change bag and develop each bit at a time and try opening the lid for a second after say 10 - 15 mins of development.

Thanks, Pete. I've seen solarized effects on some of my B&W polaroid (actually Fuji film) prints from time to time. I'm guessing that had something to do with light somehow getting to the emulsion--I guess through the backing paper--prior to peeling. Its certainly interesting.

I ordered the catalogue in paperback - just under £30 including postage. In summary: the catalogue is excellent value in my opinion. Very well printed in Germany with good biographical detail, lots of references and recommended reading, a chronology of Man Ray's life and a comprehensive index. There is no technical information but that is not what this is about. Magnificent portraits from a creative, formative period in photography.

You get 150 plates and a number of supporting images. Half a dozen plates are in colour. Most plates are one to a page.

Let me know if you have any questions. Regarding delivery I ordered before midday, the e-mail confirming dispatch arrived before 3 pm, and the catalogue arrived in the Isle of Man the next day. Wrapping was bubble-wrap and jiffy-bag rather than dedicated cardboard carton; my copy arrived in perfect condition.

I have now spent a bit more time taking in the Man Ray images after a rather tiring weekend. I am normally given to understatement but this time I am going to admit that the collection is absolutely magnificent. Seeing his work spread out over 150 plates just brings home the sheer creativity and accomplishment of the man. And when you are done with that, look up Lee Miller for another extraordinary career. Her story really needs to be more widely known.

A stunning subject for many of Man Ray's earlier images, she became an accomplished photographer in her own right, but her war work affected her deeply, leading to what we would now know as post traumatic stress disorder. There is more on the website maintained by, I believe, her son. Lee Miller

David,

THANKS SO MUCH!! I was just able to order this from Amazon in harcover for $38.00. It's not going to be released here in the US until March 28 though.

SB

It is a pleasure Steve. Work this good should be shared.

I have just been knocked sideways though by looking through some of Lee Miller's war pictures. No one should have to witness that.

Thank you Pete for that and I have ordered my copy. I have so much catching up to do.

Back