Music Students Theme

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I've had the idea to photograph my music students. They come to my place, so the room will always be the same, but with natural light from the window changing through the day, and day to day. I want to try to get some command of portraiture, try to bring out something I see in them. They all will have to agree, of course, and as they are paying for a lesson, it will have to be a few quick snaps.

Jake is up first, playing one of my guitars - he usually brings his own, so I might do him again later. But I think I definitely caught something of Jake in this image, but I'll leave it to you to figure out what that means to you.

Eventually I'll put as many as I get agreement to do in one place on 500px.

Jake by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

As this is a theme, I'm wondering about having similar pp throughout, but that might suit some more than others. So, I'll have to think about that. All constructive criticism welcome.

I do most of the toning in Camera Raw, then open it in Elements for a square crop, and run it through a filter in Silver FX for grain and tone adjustments. In this shot I also used Nik Viveza to spot lighten Jakes face, which had become too dark.

EDIT:

Here is a second:

Jake 2 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Rob, you captured the intensity of an eager student. I like the tones too. Well done! :)

Thanks, Nihat. I think I could get into portraiture. I just can't be bothered with studio lighting kits and the like. I don't have the room for a studio, and I'm too lazy. :eek:

I like them and the PP Rob. I like the touch of movement in the first especially although I think I like the composition of the second better. I wouldn't worry about lighting - these are environmental portraits and all the stronger because of the limitations / constraints of the lighting. The only thing I might consider would be a small reflector but even that can be intrusive. Maybe just play with the room a bit to 'optimise' the light. My only though would be to shoot using a larger aperture to keep the focus on the face / eyes / hands more.

I'm looking forward to this theme. :)

Good point re the larger aperture, Pete. I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to not make it like a photo session, but obviously they become self conscious. I've just got to wait for that fraction of a second when they momentarily forget. I ask them to just warm up before the lesson, while take a few jokey shots at weird angles and waiving the camera around. It's fun.

They're great rob, I like the pp if I'm honest, I'm not too fond of the super shine coming off guitar in 2, but only because it warps the blinds? So it's a little distracting, makes you wonder what's in the reflection rather than the student, but tbh, who cares? They're great, set the mood, set the scene, nice toning, what's a reflection ? Lol

The concentration is palpable in that first one, Rob.

I like natural light images. I think this idea of getting portraits of your students is a great one. Given the constraints you've alluded to I would consider setting up my camera on a tripod and having it preset for the light conditions. Then it would be just case of using a remote release to snap the fotie when you like it. You wouldn't have to move much if at all away from the lesson activity. Thus, little to no intrusion on the student's learning time.

What is this tripod thing of which you speak Brian?! ;)
I was of course speaking hypothetically, Pete. As I understand it, tripods are small platforms on extendable legs, usually made of metal or graphite today, although wooden ones exist from earlier days. You can attach your camera to the small platform mechanically via a captured screw that corresponds in diameter and thread pitch to a threaded hole in the bottom of your camera. (Thus, no need for duct tape or string to lash the camera to the small platform. This is quite a good idea in my opinion, and I'm sure the tripod makers are glad the camera companies put that wee hole in.) You can adjust the height of the tripod's legs, thus raising or lowering the altitude of your camera. Oh, and the wee platform is often attached to a locking swivel mechanism that allows you to adjust the angle of your camera and leave it in position unattended without fear of it falling. These devices are really quite ingenius and they are a testimony to man's resourcefulness and nimbleness of mind. However, why a person would actually want one is quite beyond me. After all, tablepods, kneepods, wineglasspods, beerglasspods, beerbottlepods, winebottlepods, whiskybottlepods, facepods and the like abound in our environment. No need to spend money needlessly. That's just waste.

And so, Pete, that is this tripod thing of which I speak. :)

Very funny. I don't think I'll use a tripod, though, Brian. It kind of screams, "Serious!" And I want to be free to move around, taking different angles, etc. Appreciate your comments, though!

Brian you missed out "wifes shoulder pod" which I have used on many occasions;).

Nice idea with photographing your students Rob, are you giving them the option of buying a print when you're done?

Thanks, Glenn.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice idea with photographing your students Rob, are you giving them the option of buying a print when you're done?

I'll put them online and they can download them if they want to, and print them if they want to. I could arrange printing and mounting for them, if they'd rather. Who knows, if it turns out to be a good project, we could have a display in some cafe, then have an opening where we all come and play music. That would be fun!

Cafe, display of art and making music with your students - what else would you need? I wish you realize this good project, Rob. :)

Thanks, Nihat (and Glen for the HH5). It's a possibility. And the project is getting stronger each day. I've just done two more students, Jo and James. None of them seem to mind at all. Performers!

Back