Mystery camera?

Peter Roberts

On a stroll round the park this morning I noticed this flyer on the notice board outside the cafe. Any ideas what the camera is?

IMG_1597.JPG

After a page-by-page review of the still camera in the 1200 page McKeown's, I saw nothing that remotely looks like the front of that pentaprism (?). No text at all on the lens? Why have a pentaprism box and a viewfinder? I'm inclined to believe this may be the new prototype Fujifilm x100vii.

I've emailed The Priory Players and asked if the artist who created the image used a photoshopped or AI camera image.
I've got a sneaking suspicion you're on a mission with this, Gary ;)
If I had a copy, I would have looked it up in McKeown's myself, and no doubt have been there for hours getting distracted.

I would have looked it up in McKeown's myself, and no doubt have been there for hours getting distracted.
Well, it did take quite while to turn all of those pages but I was doing a quick scan for anything that looked like the strange front of the pentaprism housing (if that's what it is)? The fingertips do seem to be sinking into whatever item that guy has grabbed. Maybe it's a cake that's been decorated to look like a camera? I think I saw one of those on the GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW.

After a page-by-page review of the still camera in the 1200 page McKeown's, I saw nothing that remotely looks like the front of that pentaprism (?). No text at all on the lens? Why have a pentaprism box and a viewfinder? I'm inclined to believe this may be the new prototype Fujifilm x100vii.
Alpa had this funny idea... The first generation covers the period from 1942 to 1952. The models are named Standard, Reflex, or Prisma Reflex, and they were made of sheet metal. The Reflex and Prisma Reflex models had both a reflex viewfinder and a rangefinder viewfinder, with the reflex viewfinder mainly used for framing as it was not very precise. Its mirror had to be manually operated. The reflex viewfinder (chest viewfinder) was protected by a metal cover that also served as a sunshade when opened. The name Alpa-Reflex was engraved on this cover. The presence of three windows on the front easily identifies these models. The rangefinder viewfinder was effective for focal lengths up to 135mm. In the Prisma Reflex models, the reflex viewfinder was replaced by a black rectifying prism, and the viewfinder was at eye level. The models referred to as "Standard" did not have the reflex viewfinder.

My opinion: it's definitely AI. I've played it enough, so I have no doubts.
I'm inclined to agree with you, Gianluca.
In view of Beth's comment there's something dodgy about the 'photographer' himself. It begs the question: Why? I mean, if they'd wanted a photo of someone puzzling about an old camera I would have been happy to pose with a quizzical look on my face while trying to remember to use my EXA500 lefthandedly 🤔

Alpa had this funny idea... The first generation covers the period from 1942 to 1952. The models are named Standard, Reflex, or Prisma Reflex, and they were made of sheet metal. The Reflex and Prisma Reflex models had both a reflex viewfinder and a rangefinder viewfinder, with the reflex viewfinder mainly used for framing as it was not very precise. Its mirror had to be manually operated. The reflex viewfinder (chest viewfinder) was protected by a metal cover that also served as a sunshade when opened. The name Alpa-Reflex was engraved on this cover. The presence of three windows on the front easily identifies these models. The rangefinder viewfinder was effective for focal lengths up to 135mm. In the Prisma Reflex models, the reflex viewfinder was replaced by a black rectifying prism, and the viewfinder was at eye level. The models referred to as "Standard" did not have the reflex viewfinder.
Wow, Stefan. What a mine of information you are!

Back