New Canon EOS-1D X

Canon EOS 1Dx announced

Looks good spec at a high price but read on further, will need setting up before you even take a shot due to focus problems LOL & not even out yet !!!

Technical write-up here: Canon Professional Network - The EOS-1D X explained: inside Canon

Features and benefits here: Canon Professional Network - EOS-1D X

Full news brief here: Canon Professional Network - Canon reveals flagship EOS-1D X pro DSLR

canon1dx_600x450.jpg

Canon-EOS-1D-X_2.jpg

$6,800 list

Interesting - Takes "All EF lenses (excludes EF-S lenses)"

Ooooops, looks like someone at Canon CPN pulled the links - even the email I was sent no longer links to anything that isn't Access Denied - how odd!

Actually, the whole CPN website is offline - so they may be either buried or updating their material

Hope it will come back online shortly...

Ahhh, it was the latter...

Website under Maintenance

The service you're looking for is unavailable at the moment. We'll be back up and running again before long, so please try again soon. Thanks for your patience!

Looks like the CPN website is now back up

I love everything about the specs except the price. But to be honest, I would rather have more pixels and lower ISO tolerance for my sort of shooting.

Agreed. It's an interesting move, and a ballsy one at that.

Moving the 1D away from cropped will upset some sports photogs, they loved the extra reach that the crop sensor gave them.

1Ds users will lament the pixel count drop, whether they really needed the extra pixels is another matter.

Clearly for Canon, they can focus on one lead model for promo, r&d, etc, and that makes a whole lot of sense for them.

I suspect the true abilities of this camera will come to light in future reviews, with the low noise high iso performance and new AF system.

It's a great looking spec, but at that price I won't be rushing off to buy one!

Its certainly a beast on paper!
when is it actually available?

Raises the bar for nikon too ... D4 soon i guess? i wonder what that will look on paper? and which will actually end up being a "better" camera??
I dont even need to go to dpr to imagine the sort of chatter about this!

1DX Canon

Available from March according to Canon UK Ltd I would wait a few months myself to allow them time to sort out all the teething problems that the last few Canon's have had upon launch date 7D for instance had a firmware update availble before it was even released, 1DmkIII had massive focus problems etc etc.Canon these days are only interested in GFK figures for mass sales & are only releasing this camera through their PRO dealerships so do not expect to see it in your high street soon, Nikon will be releasing soon I would guess & in my opinion as a Canon user is they have the advantage over Canon at present anyway.
Regards someone who wanted more pixels, please note that more pixels do not make for better sharper images, they only give you bigger files.If you can find one take a look at Sigmas pro offering the results from that are stunning only problem is price !

Not wanting to talk for Darren... But he was looking a MF kit not so long ago ... For his type of photography I can see why he would favour more pixels over better high ISO performance

I know more pixels are not always better, and 12 or 18mpix would be indistinguishable from 21 or 32 under most conditions, while able to resolve light better for higher dynamic range. The problem comes when you try to crop, as I do a lot...

Based on previous 1 series releases - they always try and get them in the field for the Olympics

So the pro sports guys get first call at the initial production run - then they arrive on the shelves at the Pro dealerships.

I saw someone on DPReview asking about which kit lens it would come with!!!

Just to clarify, I don;t believe Canon have ever sold a 1 series body as a 'kit' - it's definitely a pro body, sold on it's own - and at a pro price.

They are superb piece of working kit.

1dx

Well all stand by as there will be a new 1DS mkIV comming soon to compete against MF backs, customer of ours read all about it in the press in an article interview with Canon so watch this space !
1DX seems is aomed at the sports boys after all.Above statement is true as well, the 1 series has never been sold in a kit form with lens at least in the UK/Europe.
Will it be true though ???

Ooooo 35 MPx here we come! ;)

Back