New Canon PowerShot G1 X

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Hot off the presses from CES - New Canon PowerShot G1 X :)

Bright, fast and more creative than ever: advanced technologies come together for an exciting new camera that moves beyond anything the G-Series has seen before. The PowerShot G1 X digital camera will inspire advanced amateurs who have embraced the G-Series to explore new realms of photographic expression, and give pros an excellent camera that complements their creative demands.

40f2125418f1055ebd19dd1f7630aca0-412x343.jpg

But hold on - it's $799.99!!! :(

The new 1.5-inch High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor approaches an EOS DSLR's APS-C sized sensor, with a light-sensitive area that's approximately 6.3 times larger than that of the PowerShot G12 digital camera. The new 14.3 Megapixel sensor, combined with a new lens and DIGIC 5 Image Processor, creates the HS SYSTEM that delivers image quality previously impossible in a compact camera, with beautiful blur, lower noise, and extraordinary resolution in low-light shooting and can shoot at ISOs of up to 12800.

The PowerShot G1 X also has 14-bit RAW capabilities for even greater creative control and Full HD Video recording. Manual settings and operability inherited from EOS cameras impart a high-level shooting experience, and open the door to new creative possibilities. Substantive luxury defines the design: a neatly clarified sculpture with a firm grip, huge Vari-angle LCD and optical viewfinder.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot G1 X

Sample Image from Canon

original_sample_2.JPG

Shooting Mode Program AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/15
Aperture Value (Av) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens 15.1 - 60.4mm
Focal Length 57.4mm
Digital Zoom None
Image Stabilizer On
Image Size 4352 x 3264
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
White Balance Auto
AF Mode Single AF
Parameters Contrast: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Color Saturation: Normal
File Size 2672KB

UK RRP apparently going to be £699, presumably £500-550 on the street.

I'd be tempted to sell my DSLR and lenses, buy one of these and pocket the difference!

that looks the muts nuts.........i would have defo been tempted if i hadnt got the X10 :-)

1.5" sensor! that's big for a camera like this ... canon upping their game! good on them!
Lot of X's flying around these days eh?
Finally we are starting to see the back of the 1/1.7" et al piddly sensors!!

There is a good Gary Night video on the Canon Professional network,

Canon Professional Network - PowerShot G1 X on film: photojournalist Gary Knight on Canon

It's the huge sensor that attracts me and I am a canon fanboi ;)

I am sold ( I think)

It's this or the Fuji X10 for my next 'compact' as I feel I need a little bit of zoom.

The only downside to the canon is the model number is too short, it wont get many forum search results as not enough characters in the model number, I thought everyone knew you need at least 3 to 4 characters in a product model number to be a forum hot product :)

I shall be going X10 but then I have X-6 spy phone and drive a X3 (well I could if I had one :D), I will then be a Triple X KK

There ain't no Y and Z in my vocab..........guess it'll just be a 98% dicount............it's called mates rates...........:D:D:D:D:D

That video from CPN was very well done - some lovely sample images in there, and a good review of features.

The comparison of sensor size was interesting - given that it's nearly as tall as a crop sensor, but not as wide, are Canon changing the image size ratio?

caption_001.jpg

Defo worth a gander when it hits the shops

Black, X in the name, Canon - lovely! :D

More sample images have appeared online

Here at ISO 100

img_0036_1.jpg

Back