Nik Collection for Free

Thanks, Rense though that probably means that any further development and updates of this wonderful set of tools will cease.

Probably, yes. Google announced they want to target on mobile platforms.... Stand alones will soon be left alones, I guess....

As of the article at PF.com: "Now that Nik desktop collection is free, Google has announced that it will focus its long-term development efforts on a different market entirely, namely photo editing applications on mobile platforms."

Thanks you Rense. I have on so many occasions thought to purchase this set. I had a trial once and enjoyed the use of the silver Efex.

I downloaded it last night and was about to post the link. I considered buying it when Google dropped the price. Glad now that I didn't. I think they're giving refunds. They said this: "If you spent money buying the collection anytime this year, you’ll get a full refund of your purchase price (it’ll be automatically issued soon)."

Thanks for the tip, Rense. The trial version of Silver efex hasn't worked on my system. Hopefully this will. I think it might be a matter of not enough memory. My system is limited to 8GB and currently only has 4GB. I have to update the bios before I can install more. That required the purchase of a new DVD drive. It's been a major hassle, but I'm getting close to solving it. Before the day is out, I'll should have 12GB installed. That should be plenty. Then I will probably discover the reason it crashes Photoshop is because of my display driver or something else. God, I hate computers even though I made my living with them for 20 years.

Yay! After a lengthy, time-consuming, and surprisingly costly effort, I have now upgraded my computer's memory to 12GB. Nik's Silver efex 2 now works properly. This is probably the best upgrade I could do to speed up my computer.

I have been trying to locate alternative tools for the handful of things I use regularly in Nik because I know Google was going to abandon the product. Sooner or later an OS or LR/PS update will break it.

Between On1 Photo Suite, Macphun Tonality/Intensify, Topaz Denoise/Clarity and a couple action pallets in PS for doing luminosity/color/saturation masking, I'm pretty well covered. I can get similar results, although sometimes with more effort.

After some playing around, I am not sure Silver Efex will do a better job than LR in B&W conversions. Especially LR 5/6, with the added radial filters, are great in converting my RAW files into B&W pictures.....

Back