North York Moors summer 2018

Shaun Haselden

OK, so, Tuesday 17th July 2018 I became 59 years old which I treat as unbelievably lucky. Sue and I decided to go for a drive to the North York Moors for the day close to where we used to live. We started off in Hutton Le Hole driving over the top to Spaunton Moor, one of my favourite places. After that we spent a bit of time in Rosedale Abbey photographing the old iron ore kilns and a bit of landscape. Fab lunch was had in the Blacksmiths Arms in Lastingham followed by a long drive home. Stunning day out and a couple of hundred miles covered.

Attachments

• Spaunton Moor Rocks July 17 2018.jpg
    Spaunton Moor Rocks July 17 2018.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 10
  • Rosedale Iron Workings 17 July 2018.jpg
    Rosedale Iron Workings 17 July 2018.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Spaunton Moor Clouds July 17 2018.jpg
    Spaunton Moor Clouds July 17 2018.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 9
  • View Across Rosedale 17 July 2017.jpg
    View Across Rosedale 17 July 2017.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 10
Thank you Raza.

Just like to add that I am not entirely convinced by the version of the old iron ore kilns. I shall be doing another much more 'gritty' version.

Well, I tried to make the image a lot more 'gritty' than before. Here is the result.

Attachments

• Iron Ore Workings at Rosedale 2018.jpg
    Iron Ore Workings at Rosedale 2018.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 5
Congratulations on reaching 59, you are 10 months younger than me!

Those are great pictures, very dramatic. I love what you do with the skies.

Dave, many thank you's for the 59 year old thing. I could say "It's just a number" but we know it's not really.

Regarding the photo's, well I just put my maximum effort into capturing the skies because for me that is where the wonder of nature is. The landscape is largely carved up by humanity and with the exception of vapour trails, the sky is the true miracle. No matter when you take a photo of a beautiful sky you will never be able to replicate it, it constantly evolves and changes. I have so often waited for half an hour or so in the hope that the sky will become what I anticipate. Quite often it does. I once took a photo of a huge concrete WWII structure on a beach waiting for the sky to replicate an explosion behind it. It did exactly that. One of my best images ever on that subject. Anyway, enough. Thank you again.

OK so not 2018 rather 2006. Taken whilst I lived up there in Pickering. These shots were taken on moorland close to Grosmont where the North York Moors Railway runs from/to. I used my then Nikon D70 fitted with a Nikon 28mm f2.8 AF-D which worked out close to standard in focal length terms and I used a Cokin grad grey.

Attachments

• Grouse Butts Grosmont 2006 mono.jpg
    Grouse Butts Grosmont 2006 mono.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 4
  • High Bridestones Grosmont 2006 mono.jpg
    High Bridestones Grosmont 2006 mono.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 4
Oh yes, forgot to say, one is part of High Bridestones stone circle and the other is of the grouse butts up on the moor where people pay massive sums of money to shoot.

Another fine pair of images, with dramatic skies! I am reminded of the week I spent in Cornwall visiting a number of ancient sites.

Back