Operating Systems....

Douglas McMann

Hi folks,

Just curious to find out what OS everyone in here uses....

Windows?....iMac....?...Linux...???

I've been out of the game the last week because of a computer issue and, although now fixed, I am toying with the idea of jumping ship from Windows 7 to the Linux stable, in particular Elementary OS, which is basically Ubuntu with an Apple "lookalike" front end...

HOWEVER....having tried my best with an old hard drive that was lurking around at home, I am unable to get Lightroom to work on it, despite following the workaround with WINE.

This would be a problem for me as I sold my soul at the crossroads with version 1 of Lightroom and I would struggle having to use anything else...

Anyone else use Linux, or iMac with other software for processing...???

Dougie.

I use my Imac for most things especially for imaging. I use lightroom2 and sometimes PS CS2. I shoot mostly in jpeg now so I could really manage with my very early PS 7, all a photographer needs really if not shooting RAW.
On my laptop I still stick with XP. I know it's not supported now but the bonus is I am not being constantly inundated with superfluous updates.

Windows 7 64 bit here. My own build so the OEM ,OS has nothing unnecessary on it, very clean fifteen second start up. Software, Ps Cs6 . Lr4, Photo Ninja, Raw Therapee, Sigma Photo Pro.

Used to run Ubuntu along side windows booting into whatever took my fancy, gave that up as I have found windows adequate. On that set up I used Raw Therapee & Gimp on Ubuntu.

Interesting mix...I'm thinking it would be "refreshing" to go the full-hog with a Linux set-up (just to be different) for a bit to see what pans out...maybe stick my toe in the water this weekend...:eek:

Mac all the way for me, editing wise I use Aperture 3

I am working with all of them, each has their advantages and disadvantages. I believe that the deciding factor is to find the synergy between the hardware, software, tasks you wish to accomplish and the level of control you want to have over those aspects. :)

Yep, Mac for me too. iMac and MacBook Air, don't think I'd bother if I had to use a windows machine again :D

i'm with ya there, iMac and mac mini for at home, macbook for locations

Mac OS for macbook air, win7 64 bit for my own build desktop. I use PS6, Silver Efex pro and Color Efex pro
Own build is always a great idea. Most off the shelf Pc's are very poor and mostly build for home use of surfing the net and sending e-mails. There are a few good ones if you know what you are looking for and they show the components, yet I still find most machines are crippled or have a bottle neck somewhere. Or are limited in areas to upgrade. Again a lot of powerful pc's are aimed at gamers, so over clocked and therefore become unstable.
If a home build is on a good workstation/server motherboard which gives excellent stability . Add a decent 6 core cpu and you have a machine that is simply beautiful to work , especially if you put your OS onto a decent SSD without any bloat ware.
As long as the the parts are chosen carefully I'd always recommend an own build, it is simple and you get an amazing machine for a lot less. Based mine on this Motherboard
which is going to be upgradable for the foreseeable future although probably not needed. Followed his build but did only use one Graphics card, and could not afford all the ram in a one of. But basically this build.
Very pleased.

I totally agree with you Julian; own build must be the best. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I don't possess the technical know-how and especially the self confidence to tackle a job like this.
Manufacturer's Home PCs are thrown together very cheaply; I think testing them before they go to market takes up the costs.

I totally agree with you Julian; own build must be the best. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I don't possess the technical know-how and especially the self confidence to tackle a job like this.
Manufacturer's Home PCs are thrown together very cheaply; I think testing them before they go to market takes up the costs.
Tom I was very capable in taking old morris engines apart and putting them back as a kid. Simply enjoyed doing it, so had some dexterity in that area. For years I'd put of a home build PC. Someone I new built one some twenty years ago, he struggled to get compatible parts. Since then things have changed so much. Today the only complicated thing can be the BIOS update but even that is done via a flash drive stick and in almost all cases never needed as the the motherboard already has the correct BIOS for the CPU chip.
Having wanted to do a home build for years I put it off until that itch just got too much. Than Over a short time I read a lot online, came across one or two videos, which show how easy it is. Choosing the compatible parts is quite easy. Putting it together was far far easier than I'd ever imagined. I did not time myself, but once having the bits I started after lunch and by dinner I was on the web and setting up the software I have. Yes the big problem will come if I have a major fault and windows tells me to contact my computers technician. That happens to be me :eek:.

All in all it is easier than putting up one of those flat packs from Ikea. Loads easier:D

Back