Photo Expo Report

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Attended the San Diego Photo Expo today at the Del Mar Fairgrounds

web.jpg

This is a mixed local dealer and manufacturer show, with a good mix of trade booths and presentations/training sessions.

web.jpg

Leica were there, with their man sporting the international Benetton look, and a nice European accent! M9 looked suitably expensive :cool:

web.jpg

Canon had their flagship 800mm lens out front for people to play with...

web.jpg

And a decent selection of lenses and bodies to try

web.jpg

I tested the Canon 50mm f1.2 on a shy Canon rep - at f1.2 :rolleyes:

web.jpg

Then did a test shot of my 28-70 using the 85mm f1.2 at f1.2

web.jpg

Finally tried the 35mm f1.4, and did this test shot at f1.4

web.jpg

The 85mm was slow to AF, not like any L lens I've ever used. The 50mm and 35mm were snappy as I'd expect. 50mm is huge, but the 85mm takes the **** as it's just a monster of a heavy lens.

Delkin were showing their Fat Gecko mounts on a spare Viper - I own both the 1 and 2 cup mounts, and they are fantastic. :cool:

web.jpg

A name you'll recognise from Blighty - they have stores in the US as well

web.jpg

Mr Fong was busy lecturing on flash technique

web.jpg

Manfrotto had a great looking movie-cam rig on show - would be perfect for my 5D2 :) However it's a grand $$$ without the pull focus and barn doors :(

web.jpg

Hoodman were doing a good trade in hoods and 'viewfinders' for DSLRs, especially ones that shoot video

web.jpg

Big glass also in evidence on the Nikon stand

web.jpg

And a good selection of Nikon toys to try

web.jpg

Finally, Sony have been busy copying Canon's L lenses - from a distance you'd say Canon for sure!

web.jpg

I spent a whopping $25 on some extension bars for my Fat Gecko mount - and added about $4000 to my Christmas list!! LMAO

Good show - always worth an hour or two, and a chance to chin wag with the reps..

Back