Photos for Appraisal

The first shot reminds me of a crime scene photo,I keep looking for the floater.

The first shot reminds me of a crime scene photo,I keep looking for the floater.

This is where the thread takes a downward turn but when I hear the term 'floater' I think of something very different from what I think you are thiking of :eek: . I wonder what a psychologist would make of your interpretation of the scene :) .
Dave.

My input is:

1. Keep the horizons straight.
2. What is the point of interest in each photo? #2 has the most interest, #1 and #3 had nothing for me. What would you put as the subject" using the rule of thirds?

My input is:

1. Keep the horizons straight.
2. What is the point of interest in each photo? #2 has the most interest, #1 and #3 had nothing for me. What would you put as the subject" using the rule of thirds?

Hi Mark,
Although I originally got interested in photography nearly 60 years ago when an auntie gave me her cast off Kodak bellows camera using 128 roll film and was developing and printing my own B&W negs and snaps at 12 years old, my passion for the subject has since subsided and I'm just a 'happy snapper' now :) . I take the point about horizons, it's been mentioned before - I know I'm not the only one afflicted by this failure and it has surprised me that, in this digital age, the equivalent of an electronic spiriit level in the view finder isn't a more poular feature (to be turned off by those that don't need it).
The rule of thirds I have always regarded as a guide rather than something to be followed slavishly. I have taken thousands and thousands of photos over the years, most only of interest to me and my family and, IMHO, some of the better ones have driven a cart and horses through the rule of thirds. My primary aim when taking a photo is that it should capture something that I find attractive, rather than be a 'good photo'. I guess that's the difference between a real photographer and a happy snapper, the real photographer is always looking to produce a good photo.
Consequently I regard photo 1 as a lovely scene in it's own right and photo 3 as a comment on some of the regretable decisions that get made when money is able to influence decisions.
Just for the record, I was once an active member of an employer's photographic club and have taken part successfully in inter club competitions but such things hold no interest for me now.
Thanks for your input though, I do enjoy swapping opinions :) .
Dave.

I take the point about horizons, it's been mentioned before - I know I'm not the only one afflicted by this failure and it has surprised me that, in this digital age, the equivalent of an electronic spiriit level in the view finder isn't a more poular feature (to be turned off by those that don't need it).

The Nikon D700 has this - though it looks like the artificial horizon on an aircraft instrument panel. It is displayed on the camera's monitor. The camera can also display a grid on the ground-glass that can act as a guide.

Of course, corrections are easily made in image processing after the fact.

Hi Hamish,
I really can't see many people buying these though, can you? What I need is one that appears in the view finder so that I'm aware at the moment I press the button. I would have thought that these are only usable with the camera mounted on a tripod when you have time to check the view, then step back an inch or two to check the level (or probably better still the other way round :) ), and then pushinng the button. Surely if you've got time to do that you've got time to check the horizon through the viewfinder.
I'll stick with my Fuji S9500 until someone brings out a similar or better spec camera with a spirit level in the viewfinder.
Cheers,:)
Dave.

I note with interest that the live view mode on my 5D MK II has the option of superimposing a couple of different grids onto the displayed image.

I used it yesterday to line up the horizon and building verticals in a shot of San Diego, very useful.

chris has a good point... im fairly certain the fuji 9500 has the option for switching at least 1 set of grid lines on.. give that a go... either that or buy your self a special pair of shoes ;)

Levels were never of any use for action photography, but highly useful for any contemplative photography, specially with super-wides and film. With the tools in Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, one has all the control that one had with a large format view camera and corrections after the shoot are now trivial to make. Where levels are still needed is with panoramic photography. When I shoot panoramic sequences hand-held, I do a lot of cropping once the image has been assembled. Working from a properly leveled tripod, there is very little cropping needed to square up the image, specially if it is shot with a longish lens.

I wonder as psychologists are some of the crazyest people on the planet, there suicide rate is the highest of any proffesion.
I knew one that lived in a very nice home,except he and his wife and family where in constant battle, the doors where all kicked in and his whole family hated him.
It was a real eye opener for sure.

Back