Photo's taken with Canon 50mm f 1.4 Lens

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Tim brought up a good point around the lively debate that surrounds 'cheaper' yet fast lenses such as the Canon 50mm f 1.4.

These lenses satisfy a need for fast primes, with the possibilities of shooting with narrow DOF and excellent BOKEH - but without the ball-busting price tags of the f1 or f1.2 lenses!

I bought mine after reading a very good book on Wedding Photography, and because I was doing a wedding for a friend.

the 50mm f 1.4 came highly recommended, and it definitely delivered for me, and the happy couple :cool:

Since then, I've really taken to it as a more general lens - and I like the discipline of taking a single prime with me, and using that to shoot for a day, rather than relying on the zooms for composition.

Any way - here are some Canon 50mm f1.4 samples:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

50mm-latch.jpg

50mm-sphere.jpg

Thanks Chris, some excellent photos there that inspires me further to keep going with the lens.

Interesting to see how some of them seem to make a virtue out of foreground subjects being out of focus - such as the first one, and the menu card. So far when I do that they just seem... out of focus. I think maybe the usual zoom lenses make things effortless, and this requires more expertise or simply creativity to get the best out of them. Later if I have time I'll post one or two shots I've taken with mine which I DO like.

Prime lenses certainly do it better than zooms. I've become taken with my 85mm Macro lens due to the better image quality than the zoom lenses. It might not be particularly fast and I should by a 50mm prime soon, but all the same its a joy to use for macro and general use.

Love the pic of the planetarium-ish thingy!

Lol...

NB The girl in the middle is my elder daughter. She goes back to uni tomorrow.

And the two young ones in the other pics are my nieces.

Back