Photoshop CS6.

I dont know if this is one of those really stupid questions, I imagine there must be
a huge range of expertise in the Forum. Has anyone come across a really good
Tutorial on Photoshop CS6. Lets get to basics, I stuggle like merry hell with the whole
concept of Photoshop, some take to it like a duck to water, ! I am not one of them. !

Hence the reason I tend to go the HDR route with Photomatix Pro.

Our local College run a 5 week course for £88 + £10 printing costs, strikes me as being very
expensive for 2 hours once a week with no follow up.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you have any thoughts please, give me a shout, sooner or later
I,ve got to get to grips with Photoshop, at least the basics.

Thanks for your time and patience
Tony.

The course price does not sound to bad really considering how vast Adobe Photoshop is & how much time it takes to get to even half grips with it, at £9.80 an hour I doubt anyone from Adobe would do it for that cost.Just my thoughts, ask if there is printed material included so you can follow it on at home between courses if so looks good.

I think that is a good price & a great start to get your head around photoshop as it is a vast program and it takes alot of playing around and practicing to even start to know what does what. Stick with it though when you know the basics you will realise how clever this software is. I like to think i know how to use it but when i watch tutorials on Youtube i realise i dont know the half of it and i have been using photoshop for years LOL

I suggest if CS6 is to difficult and you just cant get your head around it then move to Lightroom or even Adobe Elements

Daz

I attended a one-day workshop at our local college a couple of weekends ago and I thought that was good value for £36. You can learn a lot more from a series of evening classes as you have a chance to reflect on and reinforce the lessons from week to week.

I also think the best way of learning is with other people. An experienced Photoshop user (I am assuming the lecturer falls into this category) can show you in a few seconds what will take many minutes to absorb from an online tutorial. You are also going to meet other people with a common interest which is no bad thing.

I got so much from the workshop that I am signing up for the Intermediate evening classes next year. This costs £102 for 6 evenings, so the costs are similar to yours. Here on the Isle of Man, (local) government subsidies for "Leisure and Recreation" courses have been slashed or eliminated over the last couple of years, and I would imagine it is the same in the UK. Costs have had to go up.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Extremely grateful for your observations, and Yes, I already have the Software, I,ve been playing around with "Layers"
which I,m told are an essential start for photographers, ( if I dare evan call myself one )...and I admit I learn quicker
"Hands On"...I invested in "Adobe Photoshop for Photographers" from Amazon, maybe it should have been Photoshop for
Dummies...strikes me, its all about learning by mistakes....I dont have a bottomless pit of cash, those were the days.

Onwards and Upwards guys.

Sorry for being a pain in the ***...

Thank you
Tony.

i learned photoshop by watching youtube videos, dissecting free actions and looking at tutorials online (psdtuts+ was pretty good when i was starting to learn). russel brown is another great video tutorial site for beginners.

Thanks Beth. I looked at Russel's site and his videos are good to follow. Only knowing the basics I'll keep it bookmarked for times in need.

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I,ve added "Russel Brown" to my favorites...go back and
take an in-depth look later. psdtuts is an excellent starting point, has some really great ideas about working with Text,
so thats another one to follow up...I,m sure I,ll get to make a few mistakes along the way, but, hey, good way to learn.

Thanks again.
Tony.

Realize that Photoshop is really a very simple program that has a vast toolbox full of tools. Probably no one living knows all of Photoshop—nor does anyone need to. One uses a basic set of tools that matches what one generally does to interpret ones own scans and digital photographs. If one needs to push beyond, the tools are there—no matter how exotic the need. As a digital darkroom, nothing comes close.

Back