Political Photography

I suppose there were some politics involved, but it's not the same as an artist giving a political statement through his or her work. The surprising thing, though, Ivar, is that they let you out of prison ;)
I was let out because of extradinary behaviour Rob, after just a few hours.:D

I would say that if you intend to make a comment through photography on a hot topic there is nothing wrong with that. I guess you just have to be prepared that it will put someone's nose out of joint. In this day and age there seems to be a whole load of people searching the internet for the room with the argument. The people that know you, Rob, know what moves you.

Not sure about that, Paul. What if Picasso had not painted Guernica, because people who know how he would feel anyway?

And are you really saying one should avoid politics, because your opinion might annoy someone, somewhere?

Good Thread Rob and some good points, not sure how I would look at it without there being some tendency to lean one way or the other, politically on the issue, I do have strong views about what has occurred and those that have perpetrated the 'crimes' so I guess I would end up much like those at Charlie in that laughing at them would be the way I would go about it.

Cheers, Kev. I'd love to think that laughing at bullies made them give up. Maybe it will, but it's a gamble.

I think there are two issues here: Making a statement because you are compelled to do something; and trying to change the world. The first one, doing something, could be carried out irrespective of any trust you have that your efforts will make even the slightest difference - you just feel compelled to "let it out". The second, changing the world, would perhaps be effective if aligned to some political movement, whether official (political party or institute) or a "people's movement", maybe through social media.

Well, all this talk, and I haven't taken one photo!

Not sure about that, Paul. What if Picasso had not painted Guernica, because people who know how he would feel anyway?

And are you really saying one should avoid politics, because your opinion might annoy someone, somewhere?

I meant that there is nothing wrong with it and it should be done, especially if it is a subject that has moved you. Just that there will always be people who will find offence in anything so be prepared for them and you shouldn't care what they think. Also that the people who know you will understand your reasons for doing it so why care about people who don't know you who may have a cynical view about your intentions.

Does that sound better?

Back