Portraits From A Merry Graveyard

Tom Dunne

In a rural graveyard, not far from the Russian city of Yekaterinburg, there are many huge, ostentatious constructions built to honour the memory of deceased Mafia leaders and important professional people of the city.
Further into the woods, amongst very tall trees, birdsong and a breezy silence, lies hundreds of small graves with simple memorials. On each headstone there is a little portrait of the deceased.
The images have a hauntingly formal beauty and made me think about the actual moment these pictures were taken. Were they studio portraits or were they simple home snaps taken by loved ones and in the company of family and friends?
The faces are sad, some look frightened; almost as if the subjects might have been aware that they were now posing in front of a camera for the very last time.
With a heavy heart and some discomfort, I photographed many of these faces knowing that, otherwise, I would never see these expressions again.

Portraits.jpg

I have seen similar portraits on graves in the Czech Republic and Poland. As you note, they are usually rather serious looking and it is difficult to understand why these were chosen. I like the way you have presented them here. Anonymous still but somehow more significant together in a group.

This image was etched into the stone. Again serious, and rather haunting.

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/looking-back.4615/#post-42230

That is a moving image of yours Pete. Always haunting and the expression seems to be making some effort to communicate with the graveside visitor.
I'm happy you liked my portraits and thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:
Wonderful stuff, Tom. They all look like they had never seen a camera before. Maybe there was a pro photographer in town, advertising (and I'm not being flippant, as stranger things have happened) "Births, Communions, Weddings and Gravestone Portraits". These people might have thought they were looking from beyond the grave, so to speak. And I guess there would have been a tradition of how to pose, enforced by the photographer. Too fanciful? Powerful stuff, either way.

Well, there we go. Amazing. Must be a weird feeling, looking into a camera lens, and thinking that people will see this image on your grave stone. You'd try to look beyond the lens into the future, trying to communicate something. Man, that's a hard portrait to do.

Tom, that was a good thing you did, bringing these portraits together. Could be the start of a long story. A novelist could weave an epic yarn, just from looking at those faces.

I've taken images of stone-carved faces from my local Victorian cemetery, and some of them are very characterful. If I get time, I'll assemble a few. Not as resonant as a photograph, for sure, but certainly interesting too.

Wonderful stuff, Tom. They all look like they had never seen a camera before. Maybe there was a pro photographer in town, advertising (and I'm not being flippant, as stranger things have happened) "Births, Communions, Weddings and Gravestone Portraits". These people might have thought they were looking from beyond the grave, so to speak. And I guess there would have been a tradition of how to pose, enforced by the photographer. Too fanciful? Powerful stuff, either way.
Oh no Rob, not one bit fanciful. I have never thought of that possibility and you could be seriously on to something there.
Glad you like the image .

I think you might well be close there Rob. Several articles imply they were created for that purpose.

http://history.scout.com/articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/219/forgotten-faces
Brilliant and relevant link Pete. I attach an original image, similar to the 20 or 30 others that I have, but totally similar in style to the one featured on your link. And just for contrast I attach one of the mafia memorials. On close inspection you might
just about notice that he is holding the keys of his BMW showing that status was all important. Even his own picnic area.mafia.jpg Sample.jpg

The hures of Cavan Rob but that is brilliant. Have you thought of entering Crufts?
You obviously had enough wool left for the socks then.
Tooo funny :D is a brilliant photo

Cannot really add anything other than to say I go along with all that has been written. Superb images and idea Tom .

Thanks Julian for your supportive comment. It's always nice to get a comment whether the viewer likes or dislikes an image.

The original post is so very good Tom and love the idea what you have done. It also got me seeing today embedded plaques and recesses sometimes empty and got me wondering why. I am sure they were not for portraits but for what I do now know.

Back