Critique Welcomed Pylon Diptych

Wes Hall

A case of happenstance thanks to Flickr displaying these two images together and giving me inspiration to create my first diptych image.

I'd fancied taking a shot of some pylons for a while now and happened upon nice lighting for this image.

Pylon Diptych.jpg

As always, any thoughts an comments are appreciated, critique or otherwise- It all helps me learn.

I really like it. It's an arresting image, asking questions - what the questions are I can't make out, but it makes you stop and look.

I wonder if you would want to arrange the exposure so that both skies look the same lightness or darkness? I don't know if that would improve it or not, but it's something I might play with if these were my images.

Thanks Rob, I found it did exactly that to me, it stopped me to look at the image. What you suggest with the exposure I was considering, and will try and reupload to see if there is a difference.

Well, trying to match the exposure was a new challenge and I now appreciate how maddening that can be in post ;):D, however, it's showed me how important the histogram is! There is a considerable tonal shift in the right hand image closest pylon, which I'm sure if I wish to test my sanity and learn some more Gimp skills I could edit.

Here's a closer match for the two. Thoughts and views most welcomed.Pylon Diptych exposure adjusted.jpg

Well, the first thing I noticed with the new version is that they are closer together, which I think takes something away. The upper part just looks badly aligned. In the first image there is a clear separation, and this I think helps with that arresting quality we mentioned.

As for the exposure values, they look closer but not perfect, and I can well imagine how difficult and frustrating that is to achieve!

Overall, I'd vote for the first attempt, which I still like and find interesting.

I just headed to this thread after seeing it briefly this morning. I intended to do two things (apart from saying that I like it).
Firstly, I was going to say that I thought it would be improved to my eye by matching the exposures a little more - I particularly notice it in the ironmongery of the pylons rather than the sky.

Secondly, I was going to suggest that a little more distance between the two images might make the two sit better as a diptych. Moving them closer reinforces my thoughts on that.

Thank you both, I hadn't realised until you mentioned it about the distance! I agree completely that it's taken away from the original. I think I may revisit this location and attempt to shoot this shot again; I like what I stumbled upon with the first and although I may edit another take on this, I doubt I will get these two to the exact state I want it to be.

Just to confirm what I thought about the spacing, Wes, my view is that even the first version might work better with more space between the two images. But that's just my view!

This is very interesting. I guess you don't want the two images to be too much alike lest they may appear like one picture split down the middle. The mismatch catches your eye though it takes your brain a minute to catch up. (Well,...it does mine.o_O) Rob used the word "arresting" which pretty much describes my glance at the picture.

Dave, Brian thanks for your comments- I've been and had another try at this particular idea; it's pretty frustrating (challenging?) trying to marry the sides of the pylons, as the road and land to stand on is sloped and uneven. Still, quite taken with the idea and tried a colour and black and white edit of this time. Again, tried to change the spacing and this time balance the image.Pylon dyptich mono.jpg
Pylon diptych 2-1.jpg

Thanks Dave, looking at this fresh again I feel the second attempt at the colour also works better. I hadn't appreciated how tricky a diptych can be to compose.

Back