Question About File Sizes And Resizing

Peter Blake

This might seem a bit basic to you guys but it's new to me.

The client wants me to dropbox the files to him in a zipped folder. That bit is fine, but he has also specified that

"Set image quality sufficient to achieve JPEG image files of just over 1 mb" before sending the pix.

I shot on two different bodies in large jpg, one giving typically 5mb filesize, and the other files about half that i.e. 2.5mb per image. my question is, I'll use Photobulk to resize them for him but it simply asks for the pixel dimensions. what would I enter here? also, no dpi number was stated by the customer. or is that irrelevant with the other info we have?

I usually put the pix in a private gallery on my site and let the customer download which shots they want. but I'm always keen to learn new methods

I get this a lot ... It often comes from PR companies (the source of all stupid questions)

I would ask for clarification, especially with respect to DPI...

My usual output is:
"for web" - 72 dpi, quality 70, 1600 long edge
"for print" - 300 dpi quality 70, un-resized

That all goes in a Dropbox folder with a zip of the lot for download ... That pretty much covers all bases. If I get a stupid question from someone I ask for specifics.

Couple of weeks ago I had a PR company ask me for RAW files ... When asked for specifics it turned out they wanted JPEGs they just didn't want me to "edit" them. When asked what they meant by editing they said "no photoshopping" when pushed with respect to what that meant they said they didn't want me to "make any of the women skinnier" ...

I have a job this week where the PR company involved have specified about 10 shots ... All basically the same ... One suggesting to me that "should the branding be high up, you might need to stand far away to get it all in" ...
You can imagine my response!

Excuse the rant ... I just feel your pain! ;)

it's for one of these sporting events companies, they put the photos up on a website and you enter your race number to get your photos. so I assume it's print since they're selling prints?

I've shot him a mail about the DPI anyway

cheers
I get this a lot ... It often comes from PR companies (the source of all stupid questions)

I would ask for clarification, especially with respect to DPI...

My usual output is:
"for web" - 72 dpi, quality 70, 1600 long edge
"for print" - 300 dpi quality 70, un-resized

That all goes in a Dropbox folder with a zip of the lot for download ... That pretty much covers all bases. If I get a stupid question from someone I ask for specifics.

Couple of weeks ago I had a PR company ask me for RAW files ... When asked for specifics it turned out they wanted JPEGs they just didn't want me to "edit" them. When asked what they meant by editing they said "no photoshopping" when pushed with respect to what that meant they said they didn't want me to "make any of the women skinnier" ...

I have a job this week where the PR company involved have specified about 10 shots ... All basically the same ... One suggesting to me that "should the branding be high up, you might need to stand far away to get it all in" ...
You can imagine my response!

Excuse the rant ... I just feel your pain! ;)

Back