Remains

A seed head from last season captured in Spring on the island of Delos on 1st April. Loved the structure of the old stem and seeds and the fine cobweb on it).

Remains-1.jpg

Nikon D3 + Nikkor 24-70 mm f 1/2.8, ISO 200, 70mm 1/640s at f 1/4.0 PP in LR, SilverFX Pro 2 (titanium toned, Fuji Neopan simulation), border in PS.

That's very effective Pete, id have got the head of it with the shadow or sky as the backdrop to all of it... But I think this works better!! The sharp dark on, OOF dark is really nice!

Thanks Hamish. I shot it originally with muted colour in mind as I could then contrast the virtually black and white flower head with the OoF landscape behind. After I'd done that I realised there was enough textural contrast for it work in monochrome especially with the lighting as it was. I'd chosen the angle / background originally to allow me to capture the cobwebs as well as the texture. I always find it fascinating how an image develops over time. I did the original processing while I was still in Greece a month ago and made the monochrome version this evening while reviewing the images (after digging out the WA shots to post).

That's very effective Pete, id have got the head of it with the shadow or sky as the backdrop to all of it... But I think this works better!! The sharp dark on, OOF dark is really nice!

I agree and also wonder how it would look as a vertical and cropped closer to the seed head?

I concur with Ralph's idea - think a long skinny crop would be excellent

Square crops are indeed less common than what most views see and often make for good results. I'd like to see that too.

Now that I've seen it I might like the square crop better. Can I change my mind?

Strangely enough I like the square crop. I think I finally get the square crop. Such a simple subject but looks real nice. I would be tempted though to get rid of that small piece poking out on the stem though either via a crop or clone.

Vic

Back