Critique Welcomed Sailing away on the Mayflower...

adrian jordin

...The Steam Tug Mayflower, that is...

The Mayflower is the oldest working steam tug in the world.
Built in Bristol in 1861 to work on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal and in the River Severn. In the late 1890s she was altered to make her suitable for work in the Bristol Channel and was altered again to give her a folding funnel. She was now capable of working on every part of the navigation uo as far as Worcester and Chepstow.

She is now moored in Bristol, and from time to time runs short trips up and down the Bristol Harbour.

This is the view from alongside the ships wheel...the flags you can just see in the centre off the picture are adorning the masts of the SS Great Britain.

image2204_007 by jordin57, on Flickr

the view for'ard...

image2204_006 by jordin57, on Flickr

Ships wheel and telegraph...

image2204_008 by jordin57, on Flickr

I like these Adrian. The compositions themselves work very well, especially the first and last, and I like the toning that you've used. I might be tempted to apply a slight curves adjustment to lift the highlights a touch though. How did you apply the toning? If it were a true silver print and you used a sepia toner it would affect shadows and mid tones much more than lighter areas. This effect is more like a staining process and I think the images need the extra contrast that keeping the highlights more white would bring. What do you think?

Pete, the picture was processed in Topaz B&W. I have a custom preset which I used as a starting point then adjusted the exposure and colour sensitivty to get the final effect. I don't recall tweaking this further in PS.

I did experiment with various settings as I wasn't totally happy with the contrast but I didn't want to lose all details in the blacks.
I will have another look at it, when I have a moment...

I like the BW treatment on these as it gives an old world feel. I like one and two especially. One as it suggests--or perhaps it's reality--the vessel steaming into port. Two for the smoke roiling out of the smokestack. Very nice compos Adrian.

Back