Saltaire

Ralph Turner

A wonderfully photogenic place. Taken on my old Zeiss Ikon Contina 1a a couple of years back. The little Novar lens is remarkably capable. Kentmere 100 (if memory serves) lab devved in Xtol.

Attachments

• DSCF4984rpf.jpg
    DSCF4984rpf.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 6
I intend to visit there someday, Ralph. Being I musician, I'm interested in The Early Music Shop, which has its showroom there.

Nice shot. I haven't seen it from that angle before. Interesting.

When I was young and lost, during the Thatcher years, I was forced into a job in the Parks Department, working with craftsmen on various projects. Once I was with an old guy (probably the age I am now, 63) who was a bricklayer, one of the best. He told me stories about his father and grandfather who had also been bricklayers, and how they made these big stacks - or rather ones like it up in my home town of Dundee. He spoke with great pride about one in particular from 1866, Cox's Stack, which was attached to the much hated jute factories. The council had plans in the 1970s to knock it down, but all the tradesmen, led by the brickies, agitated for keeping it. The factories have been converted to housing, and Cox's Stack still stands proud on the landscape. Here it is: https://www.dundee.com/activity/coxs-stack

I appreciate good tradesmen. I just can't find them, though, when I want something done on the house!

I intend to visit there someday, Ralph. Being I musician, I'm interested in The Early Music Shop, which has its showroom there.

Nice shot. I haven't seen it from that angle before. Interesting.

When I was young and lost, during the Thatcher years, I was forced into a job in the Parks Department, working with craftsmen on various projects. Once I was with an old guy (probably the age I am now, 63) who was a bricklayer, one of the best. He told me stories about his father and grandfather who had also been bricklayers, and how they made these big stacks - or rather ones like it up in my home town of Dundee. He spoke with great pride about one in particular from 1866, Cox's Stack, which was attached to the much hated jute factories. The council had plans in the 1970s to knock it down, but all the tradesmen, led by the brickies, agitated for keeping it. The factories have been converted to housing, and Cox's Stack still stands proud on the landscape. Here it is: https://www.dundee.com/activity/coxs-stack

I appreciate good tradesmen. I just can't find them, though, when I want something done on the house!
Thank you, Rob. I can recommend the bakery just up the hill from where I was stood on the bridge. Their cakes are delicious.
No wonder they wanted to preserve Cox’s Stack. I looks amazing, a brickie’s work of art.
Regarding tradesmen, tell me about it. We’re down in the D&G area and it’s just the same here 😬🙃

That looks an interesting place and I like the angle of the shot a lot.

I think you two might regret putting a chimney that big on your house though, but each to his own! ;)
Thanks, Pete. Yeah, not sure the neighbours would be too pleased (even though they’re half a mile away). Mind you, there’d be a damn fine draw when you lit the fire….😁

Back